Notices

the downward spiral.....

Old 01-26-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the downward spiral.....

Anyone who follows my posts know that I recently relapsed. Well I have done it again. the fricking job interview fail triggered me and down the toilet I went.

In fact, I'm not sure what day it is. I think it's Sunday. I'm such a loser.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. You are definitely not a loser and definitely not the only one to relapse. Start again and learn skills on how to deal with situations that are a trigger. Other people here post ideas that will help you.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are not a loser. Just an alcoholic. And relapse seems to be such a common thing, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet Jeff. Can you seek some help from your new therapist? After two sessions I think he probably has a decent grasp on who you are and might have some insight for you. Perhaps ask for an emergency session tomorrow? Today is Sunday and you are here posting with us. Hang in there Jeff and dump your supply.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You are not a loser. Just an alcoholic. And relapse seems to be such a common thing, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet Jeff. Can you seek some help from your new therapist? After two sessions I think he probably has a decent grasp on who you are and might have some insight for you. Perhaps ask for an emergency session tomorrow? Today is Sunday and you are here posting with us. Hang in there Jeff and dump your supply.
No, I'm pretty sure I am a loser. Someone recently told me I am a garden variety alcoholic and nothing special.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-26-2020 at 01:11 PM. Reason: rule 4
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take being a garden variety alkie in pride brother! Better than a very special one.

You helped get me sober. I thank you again for that. Now it's your turn, again to right your own ship. Like many here, I'm deeply rooting for you.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the sentiment trying to be expressed Jeff was that this thing we fight level-sets all of us and renders us helpless, regardless of our past. All of our Day 1's are the same right? The old life is gone and the new life must begin. Your past, which sounds awful and abusive and insane to me just going by your descriptions, is gone, and now here we all are. None of us is special to booze and we all have to be very humble to beat this.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep its sunday, and not the end of the world. Put the booze down and stay sober again. Its worth it to keep trying.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

[QUOTE=thomas11;7368311]No, I'm pretty sure I am a loser. Someone recently told me I am a garden variety alcoholic and nothing special. QUOTE]

So you’d rather be a loser than a garden variety alcoholic? I disagree with the “nothing special” addition but I’m sure the member that posted that to you meant no offense. It Just sounds like an AAism to me. Every single person has something special about them in my opinion. Even “losers” like yourself . I hope you use today (yes, it’s Sunday) to rest up and that you don’t feel too physically poorly. The other stuff can be addressed with your therapist. Hang in there!

Last edited by greeteachday; 01-27-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Original rule 4 edit in quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I think you're special and I'm sad that you decided to drink again. You're not a loser at all because you're here. You decided that the job was not for you, and that's fine. Something suitable will come along, and as long as you are sober, you'll be ready.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you drank again, been there on I don't know how many times and also not knowing what day it is!

Have you a plan this time to stay stopped? Good to see you posting so quickly again, a good sign.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Thomas!

I don't know what your feelings on AA are, but this is a good time for additional support. My wife and I did ninety meetings in ninety days when we quit drinking seven years ago, and we feel it gave our sobriety a solid foundation. I still go to meetings but my wife does not.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to be taught and I had to learn that I was sick
with a disease and addiction of alcohol. It is progressive
disease that if not addressed will keep us mentally,
emotionally and physically sick which will eventually
take us out. Kill us.

Like all diseases out there affecting millions, they
are not gonna cure themselves without help and
treatment.

There is treatment for alcohol addiction.

There is help for each of us.

There is help for you.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What I meant is you have a garden variety case of alcoholism, nothing special, nothing new.

I should have framed that better.

My bad, sorry Jeff.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand. I gave up the longest string of sobriety I ever had because of a similar situation. If it's any consolation, a year and a half later I'm really glad I didn't get the job, I ended up leaving that industry and felt so much better and have an even better paying job now. I remember everyone telling me it will all be okay as I snorted and rolled my eyes in retort. And it really is okay...if I could just put the damn bottle down and get out of my own way! If you feel like a loser or failure, an AA member once told me "It's okay to fail, we'll celebrate failure because you got back up and tried again". I wish you clarity and peace in the days ahead, thank you for being such a strong part of this community.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

You are not a loser, you are merely making choices that you later regret. A loser wouldn't regret their choices because they wouldn't know any better. You already know better in your soul. You are just not following your soul.

My suffering, stress, and alcoholism came about because I didn't realize that I was already what I was are looking for. What I was looking for was there and in place in my soul.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Garden variety alcoholic" is not an insult. No matter where we come from or what we have experienced, we are all alcoholics who share the same affliction. An allergy to alcohol if you will. Nothing special about our addiction. We are garden variety alcoholics...

I think that is what is meant by "nothing special" Jeff.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thomas this is a disease, and we have to actively treat it. I agree with cold fusion, AA might really help. You know who else is a garden variety alcoholic, who attacked his adopted son, was investigated by child protective services and ruined his marriage with drinking? Brad Pitt. You know who has been in a male only AA group and credits AA to having 3 years sober? Brad Pitt. No one is safe from this disease, there is no cure, only lifelong treatment. When they talk about a plan here, it really maybe a treatment plan. If we are not proactive with our treatment, we are willingly staying sick. Find your own plan, yoga, gym, SMART recovery, Refuge Recovery, AA, and addiction counselor. Whatever work for you. I recently paid $150 for my first appointment with an addiction counselor. I couldn’t afford it, but I couldn’t afford not to. Today is your day one, feeling low is normal. First week just rest, get good nutrition, vitamins, hydrate. Then get your plan. Once you heal you, the job interviews will be yours. When I didn’t get jobs, or lost jobs, it was because something better was waiting for me. Something better is waiting for you, heal yourself and be ready when that opportunity appears.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure I am a loser. Someone recently told me I am a garden variety alcoholic and nothing special.
The first time I was told I wasn't special and i was a garden variety alcoholic, boy it made me mad too. I'd been told how special I am my entire life! In good ways.

But dude....we are all just the same. Alcoholics. There isn't a better or a worse one, at the end of the day. Accepting that in this way it's GOOD to be average has been pretty freeing.

Don't drink the rest of the day, and it is Sun EST. Mon will be here sooner than it feels like.

Trusting you know I'm not being a jerk to you based on our PM and thread interaction. But you know what ya gotta do.

Last edited by greeteachday; 01-27-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yup, I thought anyone who used any sentence with the word, "You," in it was insulting me in my last days of drinking and into early sobriety.

Sensitive? Moi? Surely, not.

Jeff, don't hurt yourself. Seriously!
Old 01-26-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Definitely NOT a loser! I just wanna ((hug)) you, I wish there was more I could do to help you, I hate to see you so down😔