Notices

Feel "Weird" in the Mornings?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel "Weird" in the Mornings?

So I had 60 plus days leading up to December 29, then 3 day bender, now back at day 20.

Does or did anyone else feel "weird" for a couple of hours in the mornings? Even before my speed bump bender, this still had not gone away. I sleep well (especially with my CPAP, I'm not sure how I ever got by without that!). I wake up feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed. Then after maybe an hour of being up, I get that "right at the edge of a panic attack" feeling. Racy pulse, feeling of doom, the whole enchilada, although not quite a full blown panic attack. I grit my teeth, and eventually it goes away. This happens day in and day out since getting sober, almost to the point where I go to bed dreading it.

I have a benzo scrip (Xanax), but I don't take them, and haven't since I tapered off after quitting drinking, so none since before Thanksgiving. I was at 3 .5s a day this time last year, but did a self taper to zero over last summer and into fall. I think I have a handful or so .25s left stashed for a genuine panic attack, which thankfully hasn't happened.

Did I cook my brain chemistry and it's still resetting, almost 90 days later? Is it a residual trigger from so many hung over panic mornings?

This feeling typically goes away by lunch, and I'm left thinking, "Now what was that all about?" Only to get it again the next day.
Anybody else have this? Did it go away eventually?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have morning anxiety and I have had it as long as I can remember - even during long periods of sobriety, like I'm at six years now and still get it, not daily but frequently.

There is a thing called morning cortisol response...I think that is my issue, since I get it right at awakening. Doctor Google says it is also a #Feature of generalized anxiety, and it is worse for me if I allow my crazy brain to go down the wrong path, thought-wise. I am very vigilent and mindful of my thinking in the early mornings and I don't let it get out of hand. Like I do a lot better if I just do some controlled box breathing right away.

https://quietkit.com/box-breathing/

Some days I will bounce out of bed and immediately do 50 jumping jacks or run in place for two minutes if I feel like it is about to get worse.

I can trace a lot if not all of it to whatever I think about first thing, and usually that is, "It's dark. Primal fear. What else - bad - might happen???"
Old 01-20-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I know what you mean. For me the solution was and is to get my good hormones flowing with fairly energetic exercise and some weight training. No matter what frame of mind I am in I always feel better for several hours after.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree, sounds like anxiety to me. It's pretty common to get withrdawal related-anxiety in the first weeks, alcohol is a CNS depressant so when you take it away your brain responds. That usually clears up in a few weeks but certainly could still be hanging around if you were a heavy/daily drinker.

The other thing to consider is that you indeed have anxiety issues. I know I did and it was likely one of the motivators for my drinking in the first place. While quitting drinking did help somewhat initially, it became clear after a while that I needed help with that issue too. I sought some help via counseling after about a year and a half of struggling, i really wish i would have done so sooner.

There are a lot of things I do to help deal with mine - I cut back signficantly on caffeine, sugars and other stimulants. I love coffee and it was hard, but I found alternatives. That big jolt of caffeine in the AM was giving me panic episodes like you describe. I also found that meditation and the practice of minfulness was a big help in overcomiong the episodes that happened any time of the day. Getting sleep, a little exercies and eating well helped too. I also tried a couple of anti-anxiety meds over the years at the suggestion of a doctor with mixed results - but those are also usually supposed to be a short-term help until you can solve the long term problem.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ahhh yes, coffee/caffeine. Now that you say it, that seems pretty obvious, although I have to admit I'd totally missed the coffee angle. I used to think of a half pint of (insert any liquor here) as two drinks, maybe three at most. I tend to do my coffee the same way, a lot of it and consumed fast. Same goes for pizza!

That makes a lot of sense, as the onset doesn't really happen until I've been up and had two large cups. I do work out most days of the week, but the anxiety has had me backing off the work out, as it seemed to make it more intense.

I will buy some decaf and see if that helps. I don't think I can cold turkey my morning Joe, but if it fixes the anxiety, it will be well worth it.

I'm going to be out of vices at this pace. I gave up bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. I switched from smoking to vaping several months ago, and have gradually reduced the nicotine level to approaching nothing, so that's up next.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had terrible panic attacks and anxiety near the end of my drinking, which resolved its self after I quit.

I will say that I'm more sensitive to caffeine like coffee/cappuccino and of course drinks like redbull and monster since I quit - and I've pretty much quit those too. If I drink caffeine drinks its slow and over the coarse of many hours. Loved caffeine every morning to counter the affects of alcohol though.

I've also read many people aside from me seem to be more sensitive to caffeine and other stimulants after quitting alcohol, jury is still out though.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No coffee this morning. Much better. Still a little there, but vastly improved.
I really like Diet Dr. Pepper, and I allow myself one soda a day (more if we go out to eat at a restaurant). I did drink that on the way to work, and that's when I felt the tinge, so I'm thinking it's the caffeine.
It's odd that I can drink a cup of coffee after dinner in the evening without ill effects, which I often do if we stay up later to watch a movie, etc.
But no more in the morning! Maybe I'll buy some decaf, although that's kind of like NA beer. Probably should just give it up.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a warning: If you cut way back on caffeine all at once you may get a headache. I usually wean off caffeine.

When I was newly sober I cut back my caffeine gradually from 3-5 per day to one half cup of regular mixed with decaf.

At about six months my nervous system had settled enough to go back to one cup of regular coffee per day.