Notices

Alcohol dreams

Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol dreams

I had one of those dreams last night. The one where I get totally smashed and feel absolutely awful and regretful in my dream, and even a bit when I woke up! I don’t know why in my dream I chose to drink, it felt out of my control. I know it’s in my control and it was a great reminder of all the things I haven’t had to feel in the last 372ish days: guilt, remorse, anxiety, self-loathing, worthlessness, all caused by alcohol. Even though my life isn’t perfect, it’s so much better without booze. Immeasurably better. I never want to (and never have to) feel the way I felt in my dream last night and the way I’ve felt countless times throughout my life.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jolts us awake, doesn't it?! I recall having some very stunning ones at the start.

I feel it's me processing all kinds of stuff- at first, literally not drinking or reliving when I did. As I've gone on, I find that dreams involving alcohol are often tied to something I'm worried about or having a hard time handling IRL.

The good news is we wake up from dreams. Keep going!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I had dreams where I was carrying my beers, but never got a chance to drink it....and my smoking pot dreams were too real and weird.....I called them "freebies." lol
Old 01-12-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Jolts us awake, doesn't it?! I recall having some very stunning ones at the start.

I feel it's me processing all kinds of stuff- at first, literally not drinking or reliving when I did. As I've gone on, I find that dreams involving alcohol are often tied to something I'm worried about or having a hard time handling IRL.

The good news is we wake up from dreams. Keep going!
Yep. When I was drinking and the first time or two I got sober, I frequently had dreams about my ex. How happy she is with her new guy, all that crap. I'd wake up incredibly depressed and it could last through the morning.

The longer I stay sober, those dreams have basically disappeared because I realized it wasn't as much about her as it was about my own guilt and other emotional issues I never dealt with due to drinking.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, those dreams are a pain. But, isn't it great to wake up and realize it wasn't real and you are still sober? Such a sigh of relief.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have booze dreams- usually leading up to a certain event or date- or if something in my memory stirs from the past. Some times I need to remind myself dreams are just that and they cannot hurt me.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too have been having alcohol dreams.. they are in a word scary. I wake up feeling relieved that it was all a dream, however, during the dream I feel so much shame and disappointment. I think what is important is the meaning you take from the dream. If you look back on the dream and think "Man that was fun, boy do I miss that." I think maybe some self-reflection is in order. If however, you look back at the dream and say "Whew thank lawwwwd it was only a dream." Then take it for what it was - only a dream!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another thread about drinking dreams. This not a criticism. I'm always fascinated by them. We could make a drinking game out of this. Every time someone mentions a drinking dream, everyone downs a shot of the hard stuff.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have them on occasion still. I’m actually surprised I don’t have them more often. Back in my drinking days, it was a constant concern of mine about running out of alcohol. I always had to have at least one extra bottle. Going from that daily worry to not thinking about it all all was a pretty big adjustment for me.