Notices

Contemplating a drink

Old 01-11-2020, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Contemplating a drink

Struggling here. Quick backstory...drank wine (about two bottles per day) for several years, with lighter daily drinking before that. Detoxed using a benzo for a couple of weeks. Bad idea. So I believe trying to come off the benzo gave me the very distressing feeling of being choked, a squeezing in my neck. However my dr chalked it up to anxiety and put me back in the benzo. Now I’ve had anxiety most of my life and this has never been one of the symptoms. Stupidly I continued the benzo and really became dependent on it. Well after a couple of hard months I am one month off the benzo, 3 off alcohol and this sensation is still persisting. It is driving me absolutely crazy and has me concerned about heart problems, which has led to more googling and ‘oh look at all the symptoms I have!’ My dr says I’m fine, several Er visits say I’m fine, but my head doesn’t. And all I can think is ‘Well you didn’t have this issue when you were drinking. Maybe a glass of wine is the solution.’
Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jaz, I don't have any experience with benzos but I know for sure alcohol is never the solution.

Please hang tight and don't drink that wine. You've come so far.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time.as sushi says alcohol is never the answer. It can take months to feel normal again and drinking will just out you back wards
Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaz

I drank for along time - 20 years or so...it took longer than I wanted for me to feel good again after I quit.

I understand benzos can also have a long withdrawal arc sometimes.

Anxiety unfortunately is a condition that can change over time, so it's possible this is anxiety.

It may be something else I've mentioned or something different entirely too - I'm not a dr.

If you're not satisfied with your Drs approach can you get a second opinion from another doctor perhaps?

I think that would be preferable to drinking again.

The inner addict can whisper sweetly but remember all the things that bought you here to SR in the first place.

Drinking over this would be like using a chainsaw to remove a hangnail.

D
Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jaz,

I am sorry that you are having a bad day. Regarding your anxiety I have a close family member who suffers from pretty severe anxiety. She sees both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. As part of her treatment she does take a drug to help her but it's not a benzo its an SSRI class drug. I am being non-specific because we do not provide medical advice here. My point is that you may benefit from seeing some medical professionals who specialize in the treatment of anxiety. There is a lot more to this than just going to your GP and getting a benzo prescription.

You are suffering and want to take action. I get that. The wrong action would be to pick up a drink. A better choice is to seek out focused medical professionals who can help you deal with your anxiety. As an aside have you ever considered meditation?

I hope your condition improves soon.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe you have what's called globus sensation. I experienced it too a couple of years ago. It's definitely anxiety related. It was awful. I was convinced I had all sorts of medical issues. I could barely sit through a barbers appointment without feeling like I was going to choke. Saw an ENT, general practitioner, counselor, etc. Ended up getting on an SSRI and one day it just went away. It still resurfaces now and then but I'm better equipped to ignore it since I know it's not some disease/cancer.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's an enormous difference between anxiety and a panic attack. It often aggravates me how easily the word "panic attack" gets thrown around when people are having basic anxiety. It's basically become a term of expression. I don't believe many people have experienced a true panic attack. To the level where a bullet looks awful good.

Having your throat feel like it's closing up, choking you, making it difficult to breathe. That's one of the symptoms of a real panic attack. It's downright scary, I know. And especially if you don't know what's happening, it only fuels the panic. Any psychiatrist should be able to diagnose that within seconds.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah to me it sounds anxiety-related (so booze would be the worst thing!) Try another doctor, things like SSRIs and CBT might help if they feel they're right for you.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does sound like anxiety.

If you've been to the GP and had several visits to ER and they didn't find anything wrong then you are probably ok physically.

Do you think therapy for anxiety might help?

I've had bad anxiety and therapy was helpful. I'm not keen on benzos. Occasionally I take one and it takes a few days to return to normal. Perhaps your still not fully recovered from the withdrawal.

​​​​​
Old 01-11-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, get a second opinion. What you describe tends to sound like one of those things a patient "knows" may be ahead of what your doctor thinks or fails to detect. I really like my doctor. A couple of times doctors have saved my life, but I also know that some of my early premonitions were not showing up in tests, and a month or two later, something, maybe not exactly what I thought, would show up to account for something I already "knew." My relationship with my doctor is more like a dance than a fight. We work together with both of us being skeptics, but both working to help ME.

I don't believe drinking will help you at this point. It's like when something is wrong you get wild ideas like maybe if I drink cocoa for a while, or take more baths, I'll be better. More drinking? That seems even farther out there.

I see all the "drink wine for your health" ideologies as mostly propagnda from the wine industry. Wine is expensive, elegant, varies widely from one type to another, but it's just alcohol, same as the rotgut moonshine for the for the rest of the rabble. Even winos drink wine. That's why they call them winos. Wine in the end, is not that special.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A drink is not a good idea.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Us boozers are an amazing lot. Only we would think Hmmm . . . health problem . . . this calls for a drink!!!

Don't do that. It is a non sequitur. The definition of insanity.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
There's an enormous difference between anxiety and a panic attack. It often aggravates me how easily the word "panic attack" gets thrown around when people are having basic anxiety. It's basically become a term of expression. I don't believe many people have experienced a true panic attack. To the level where a bullet looks awful good.

Having your throat feel like it's closing up, choking you, making it difficult to breathe. That's one of the symptoms of a real panic attack. It's downright scary, I know. And especially if you don't know what's happening, it only fuels the panic. Any psychiatrist should be able to diagnose that within seconds.
I actually wish this was just a panic attack. I’ve been dm dealing with this squeezing throat feeling in and off for months and it’s just recently gotten worse. It’s every day now and for most of the day. I can’t get away from it.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning. I'm no doc. However I am going to lean on thats its a anxiety disorder. But one thing I know for sure is that booze is NOT going to make it better I promise you. Ride ot out get a second opinion. Do whatever just dont booze. I really feel you will regret doing so. Jus sayin. ✌
Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JazV36 View Post

I actually wish this was just a panic attack. I’ve been dm dealing with this squeezing throat feeling in and off for months and it’s just recently gotten worse. It’s every day now and for most of the day. I can’t get away from it.
There are varying degrees of panic attack...you could very well be in a perpetual state and your hyper awareness is making it worse. Anxiety and panic attacks or symptoms thereof are often self fulfilling prophecies.

If you're not convinced and the GP and ER have failed you (and remember, ER basically just makes sure you're not dying, no heart problems, etc. They aren't diagnosing you. Get you in, get you out), have you considered an ENT? Still sounds like anxiety related, but if you're that concerned, see an ENT and rule out any physical issues from that perspective.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Probably from anxiety, it would get to a point where I break out in an extremely heavy sweat, it feels like my blood is no longer flowing and if I'm standing I fall right over unconscious!

Hasn't happened in a long time.

I couldn't imagine dealing with my anxiety without running. That does a lot of what alchohol does less the hangover and making it worse the way alchohol does longer term.

Another is breathing and meditation.

I look at what's going on with my body with anxiety, my heart rate and blood pressure and brain waves are increasing. Is it something I can control, why yes, yes it is. I have control of my breathing. I slow it down as much as I can. This slows everything else, long, steady, deliberate exhales can almost feel like an opiate for a few seconds. At least with the lung capacity I have built up it can sort of feel that way.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had that throat thing when withdrawing from benzo's. Valium, low dose, too. Difficulty swallowing as well. Many people seem to report this symptom. Benzo withdrawal is not for the faint hearted that's for sure.

Now, 10 months off, and this symptom has completely resolved. All docs told me I was fine too.

Drinking will exacerbate the problem, believe me.

Good luck, and congratulations.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I had that throat thing when withdrawing from benzo's. Valium, low dose, too. Difficulty swallowing as well. Many people seem to report this symptom. Benzo withdrawal is not for the faint hearted that's for sure.

Now, 10 months off, and this symptom has completely resolved. All docs told me I was fine too.

Drinking will exacerbate the problem, believe me.

Good luck, and congratulations.
Thank you for letting me know it is a common symptom of benzo withdrawal. I had a few withdrawal symptoms, and if this is one, it’s the only one left lingering. I’d take the others though over this, it’s making me feel like a crazy person.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JazV36 View Post
Struggling here. Quick backstory...drank wine (about two bottles per day) for several years, with lighter daily drinking before that. Detoxed using a benzo for a couple of weeks. Bad idea. So I believe trying to come off the benzo gave me the very distressing feeling of being choked, a squeezing in my neck. However my dr chalked it up to anxiety and put me back in the benzo. Now I’ve had anxiety most of my life and this has never been one of the symptoms. Stupidly I continued the benzo and really became dependent on it. Well after a couple of hard months I am one month off the benzo, 3 off alcohol and this sensation is still persisting. It is driving me absolutely crazy and has me concerned about heart problems, which has led to more googling and ‘oh look at all the symptoms I have!’ My dr says I’m fine, several Er visits say I’m fine, but my head doesn’t. And all I can think is ‘Well you didn’t have this issue when you were drinking. Maybe a glass of wine is the solution.’
That is definitely your AV talking. That glass of wine can easily become two bottles again and will start the whole cycle over again.

I also deal with anxiety and I find getting outside for a walk daily and mindfulness techniques like breathing and meditation to remain in the present really helpful.

You can do this, and you don’t need the wine to do it.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Probably from anxiety, it would get to a point where I break out in an extremely heavy sweat, it feels like my blood is no longer flowing and if I'm standing I fall right over unconscious!

Hasn't happened in a long time.

I couldn't imagine dealing with my anxiety without running. That does a lot of what alchohol does less the hangover and making it worse the way alchohol does longer term.

Another is breathing and meditation.

I look at what's going on with my body with anxiety, my heart rate and blood pressure and brain waves are increasing. Is it something I can control, why yes, yes it is. I have control of my breathing. I slow it down as much as I can. This slows everything else, long, steady, deliberate exhales can almost feel like an opiate for a few seconds. At least with the lung capacity I have built up it can sort of feel that way.
I wrote almost the exact same thing, just with less detail, and substitute walking for running.