# 21 (permalink)  

Shot on that first year.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 01-08-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
days turned into weeks, which turned into months, and now here we are. A year later.

It has been hard. I've had cravings, stress, grief, that all tested my sobriety. But you know, you can do things you never thought possible, and you can do them sober. I have managed to surprise myself time and time again.
I'm not totally surprised to be here 24 years later (my sobriety birthday was 5 days ago on January 3rd). The surprise part seems to dissipate over the years, but yeah, one year was something I didn't believe possible when I started. Nor was I even sure that never drinking again was what I wanted when I timidly entered into recovering. Five years was even easier than 1 year, but it still had a strong element of surprise and amazement being that I had such doubts early on.

And no, one year is not a destination. Neither is 24. There's always more to come and more to learn. I'm continually grateful for that. But what I'm mostly grateful for is that I am no longer mired in a life of alcohol. What amazes me now is NOT that I'm sober, but that I actually spent years of my life punishing myself with alcohol for little or no reason. All I did was feed my craving with only negative consequences to show for it.

And by the way, congratulations on one year, a really big year.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on the first of many years sober!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

congratulations!
Old 01-08-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on a year sober dpac, fantastic! Even better that you got sober at a young age too, you will get more benefits from sobriety than most by quitting while you are still young. Hats off too you because although you will have been addicted to alcohol for less time than some it must be harder socially when you are a young person, you probably face more temptations than I do.