Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Leave it in the rear view mirror. Weekenders 03 - 06 January 2020

Notices

Leave it in the rear view mirror. Weekenders 03 - 06 January 2020

Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!

Thanks for the OP Mags!

Congratulations on shotgun Red78!

I did lots of stupid things when I was drunk but I can't always remember them. Mostly I drank to soothe social anxiety ease insecurities and get through jobs I hated. It was all a form of running away from things rather than confronting them. It didn't work either.

In the end you have to look at yourself in the mirror and then you realise that anything is better that drowning yourself in whiskey, vodka, wine or beer.

If you are seriously considering making the big change and stopping drinking take a moment to understand that you are the only thing stopping yourself from quitting for good. Give yourself a chance to be someone you like, the future you will thank you.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Saoutchik! Congratulations on your Five Years! That's an awesome achievement!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am more the person I always could have been now, with sobriety. Well worth it.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in for the weekend
I try not to dwell too much in the past, especially on some memories that just make me too sad, but it’s not always easy to drag my thoughts back to the present. I also try not to worry too much about the future because it’s a big contributor to feelings of anxiety.
I’m slowly learning to live more in the present.
For me, depression and anxiety seem to spring from living too much in the past and future, and not enough living in the present. It’s not easy to keep my thoughts in the present, but I’m trying.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh wow, it just rained here finally, not much, but a little bit, enough to water the thirsty plants and dampen the ground a little. I sure hope it spreads south and rains on the fires.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Speaking of memories, I had an incident lately that nearly had me panicking...

We hosted my family for Christmas dinner. We had all kinds of food including two types of pierogies. The usual Potato/Cheese and a batch with Sauerkraut. Not too may people like the Sauerkraut kind. I did all the cleanup - or so I thought.

The next day we discovered the left over pierogies had been mixed up in the same container together. A real no no. Immediately after the discovery, I got that dark scary black-out blank memory feeling as I had no recollection of putting them away. I had to check myself... no, I had not been drinking. Even after rationalizing that one of our guests must've been trying to be helpful it took awhile to shake the feeling.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Oh wow, it just rained here finally, not much, but a little bit, enough to water the thirsty plants and dampen the ground a little. I sure hope it spreads south and rains on the fires.
Prayers for more rain.....
Old 01-02-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have a ton of guilt n shame in my rear view mirror right now. Had to even spend a few days tapering recently. Very anxious and confused right now. Just taking sober baby steps for now.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You’re here Mariposa, and that’s a really great baby step. Stick close ❤️
Old 01-02-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back mariposa

D
Old 01-02-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders.
Hope it lashes rain downunder too.
It really is devastating whats happening.

Glad you made it back Mariposa. 2020 can be a sober one yet. Tell us a bit more about whats happening and maybe we can help a little.
Take care.

Sao you wrote "drank... to get through jobs I hated" I have been doing the rounds with this the last few months. Maybe a career change in 2020. Have to consider all factors...

Glad you didnt mix together those pierogies. They are polish if im not mistaking pierogies.

Anyways have a great day weekenders.
Coffee o clock here.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Another great quote about the rear view mirror:

“There’s a reason the rearview mirror is so small and the windshield is so big. Where you’re headed is much more important than what you’ve left behind.”
Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I have a ton of guilt n shame in my rear view mirror right now. Had to even spend a few days tapering recently. Very anxious and confused right now. Just taking sober baby steps for now.
It’s great to see you Mariposa!❤️
Old 01-02-2020, 08:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Willow, I had a hard time learning to live in the present, I was always planning ahead or having misgivings from the past. I learnt through watching the birds feeding on the tree to just live in that moment. I Let every other thought go whilst watching these little wonders of nature.
I hope more rain comes over Australia

Hi Mariposa good to see you. Remember it’s just for glancing in, keeping your eyes forward, one step at a time. We know you want this and can do this.

Friday morning, we’re going to visit my step mum later, I don’t think we’ll be walking on the beach, it’s raining at the moment.

See you later x
Old 01-02-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Another great quote about the rear view mirror:

“There’s a reason the rearview mirror is so small and the windshield is so big. Where you’re headed is much more important than what you’ve left behind.”
So true Delilah.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, yes, watching the birds and the butterflies in my garden is a really good reminder to live in the present ❤️
Old 01-03-2020, 01:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

First normal weekend after the Holidays, phewww I made it sober again this year!

It's the most difficult passage for me every year.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. Sorry to say that I'm glad that Christmas and New Year is over. It's not just that it's a drinking season that gets me down, the whole thing just gets me really down for some reason. Perhaps it's partly expectation or wishful thinking verses reality, I don't know. The short days don't help. Now the days are slowly getting longer and there's spring to look forward to and I feel I can face things a bit better again. And I'm still sober
Old 01-03-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you CK and Harriet. Yes, spring will soon be with us.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Mariposa, stick around.

It's good to be reminded that the days are getting longer.

There is no harm in looking at other jobs VMan even if you decide to stay where you are.

My youngest daughter asked to be given a lift to Little Russia in north London along with a bin bag full of clothes that she had sold. She also asked if she could drive which I agreed to although without much enthusiasm. The journey there was fine as the traffic was heavy, the journey back not so much. There was a lot less traffic and we must have switched from impulse to warp somewhere near the Balls Pond Road. The rest of the journey was a blur of tightly gripping the seat and pressing an imaginary brake pedal. I'm surprised I've got any hair left.