Notices

ineedhelp!!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
iys

ineedhelp!!!!!!!!

i have a dtr that is 32. i think she has a alcohol/drug and mental problem. someone has always had to take care of her. she cannot hold down a job, maintain a place to live,etc. i have taken leagal action to get her 2 yr. old dtr. she is tearing our family apart and reeking havoc on our finances, how do you help someone who says nothing is wrong with them?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Iys,

Welcome to SR.

You really cannot help someone who says there is nothing wrong and doesn't want help. What you can do is to help yourself.

If you like you might check out the Families and Friends of Alcoholics forum on this board. You'll find many people there with problems similar to yours and get advice on how to look after yourself.

Anna
Old 11-28-2004, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The sad thing is, there is probably nothing you can do to help her get clean and sober. Until she recognizes that she is powerless over the booze and drugs and wants to get help, she won't.
What you are doing is right for her 2 year old. If your daughter is as unsettled as you say, and I am sure she is, your grand daughter deserves to be with someone other than her mom right now. Her safety and well being is paramount and it is a blessing that she has you.
Have your tried Alanon or Naranon? This is a great group of people who know what you are going through. Look in your local phone book for a phone number and call and find where there are meetings in your area.
Right now all you can do for your daughter is pray that she wakes up before she self destructs.
You take care of you and your grand daughter and that is plenty for now.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Iys,welcome to SR.Sorry to hear about your situation.Until you daughter admits she has a problem not much anyone can do for her.You should also try posting in the Al-Anon and Nar-Anon forums too.And maybe try some of the meetings.Good luck.