Notices

Posting instead of drinking

Old 12-08-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe,

Sounds like you’re doing well, and you have a plan which is a good thing.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks very much everyone for your posts. I managed to get up at 6am. Just heading out for a swim now.

I feel a bit stupid. I know exactly why this happened. I got ill for a week then my whole routine went out the window. I just got really stuck in feeling miserable.

Well, hopefully this is the first day of getting back into my recovery plan. Its a good start anyway. I'm a bit rushed for time just now but will reply properly tonight.

Thanks again 💞
Old 12-09-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad you got going on your day Gabe - and I have to plan in the small, literal re-boots sometimes. You mention wanting that grateful feeling etc back - sometimes when I'm in some cycle of "sucky" I make myself stop and literally say the first 5 things that come to mind that I am grateful for, which usually includes something mundane like lip balm! Repeat another round if necessary- something should pop up to distract and re-track your mind....even if it's a snack after swimming that you look forward to...
Old 12-09-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Posting instead of drinking sounds like a good step. Focus on something other than drinking. Granted, posting to alcoholics is still about drinking, but it's better than just sitting their stewing in anger and resentment. And you also get feedback, some of which is actually useful.

Also spend some time forcing yourself to think about what you are grateful for. You probably won't get the pink cloud back. That level of insane contentment doesn't last forever, but think about what's good in your life. Perhaps that's not having to drink to solve your problems, but it can be anything. Go to a different part of your brain, and stay there for a while.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone!

It had been my intention to answer everyone individually but I am totally shattered! In the best possible way. I feel so much better. It's the first day I've had for a while, where I have felt happy. It was lovely.

My thoughts are:

- It was setting the intention and following it through.
- Physical exercise.....endorphins etc. Just feeling physically better.
- Excited more than anxious - two sides of the same coin, often for me.

The BIGGEST thing was just posting and saying I felt like crap, that I was struggling and that I needed to turn things around. I've done that a couple of times now, where before I probably would have drank.....

I think partly it helps me to admit to myself where I am and how I am feeling but it also challenges me to DO something about it. What's the point of asking for help, then not doing anything to help yourself - right?

I'm by no means out of the wood but it has kick started me getting back on the right path. I have counselling and a meeting tomorrow, both which always help.

I have some good ideas for turning the idea of Christmas holidays into a real positive. I loved the volunteering suggestion or maybe some community events. Lots of swimming and getting out, meetings and stuff to do. It's when I am sitting in the house that I start to feel really down.

Big thanks again and hopefully some more positive posts to follow
Old 12-09-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great post.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

so good to see that being proactive worked out well for you
Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Morning. It was hard getting up today and didn't sleep to well but I'm ready and off swimming again. It's been really nice to spend some early morning time reading here. I've always pushed, pushed, pushed for a ROUTINE in early recovery but I wonder if one can just evolve quite naturally.

I have counselling this morning after a break of a couple of weeks. I am really glad. I want to figure out some better ways to cope when I'm not well and my mood is really low.

I still have a voice telling me that drinking at Christmas is gonna happen. I have two weeks to get strong, sort my head out and bury that voice. I don't want to stay in this cycle of 12 week relapse. Its been 2 years. I can do better and I really can't start over again.

One step in front of the other and some self-belief. Have a good day everyone 💞

If anyone has any thoughts about a good morning recovery/exercise routine, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I've always pushed, pushed, pushed for a ROUTINE in early recovery but I wonder if one can just evolve quite naturally.

If anyone has any thoughts about a good morning recovery/exercise routine, I'd appreciate it.
Daily exercise is always a good thing. I personally don't think it matters what time of day, but your question is if early morning exercises helps recovery.

I've never tried that particular regimen or used exercise as part of recovery. However, I did become much more active and obviously more healthy after I got sober, which may support your question about a natural evolution in sobriety. I focused mostly on my commitment to sobriety and the joy and pride I derived from it, and that seemed to be all I needed. I doubt that strategy fits everyone, however.

I think what is key is whether it helps YOU. And YOU are the best judge of that. Also, exercise is its own reward and doesn't need any justification beyond itself and the accompanying health benefits.