Notices

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Here’s a thanks to all of you for the hope, peace and joy that you brought to my life.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all across the pond & all who celebrate it 😊
Old 11-27-2019, 11:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post

My older son was bullied terribly in elementary school. The first day of school this year- middle school- I had to fight back tears of fear as I walked him to the gates. We saw the old bullies pointing and laughing at him and I could see he was terrified. I held him up and sent him in and then sobbed for hours. And then he came home.... happy! He loved his class, his companions, his teachers, everything! And it has been that way ever since.
This bullying thing makes me angry. So very angry, especially now that I have grandkids. I am happy your son is in a more positive environment.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I usually fly to Chicago to have Thanksgiving with my sister, her husband, plus a whole bunch of others, but after going to New Orleans to explore a swamp and other stuff, I'm all traveled out. I detest air plane travel. It's like paying money to be given 3 hours of torture. I can only take so much. I had even bought tickets over two months ago when I saw some cheap flights. I kind of knew I wouldn't want to fly twice (four round trip) in one month, so I didn't even show up at the airport. No one here even knows I'm home since I'm always gone on Thanksgiving, so I've got no invites to dinner.

I'm not whining about any of this. I'm actually quite happy, and any regret is only that it saddens my sister and her husband. But you know what? It gives me a chance to get some things done around the house. I spent the last two days putting up my tree, which I haven't done in years because I'm usually gone for the holidays, and the house is looking right spiffy. I'm going to eat a light dinner instead of all that Thanksgiving food with the different types of pie. I always regret that afterwards anyway. All my life, I've done a lot of things on my own, and eventually I've come to prefer it, so I'm going to use Thanksgiving to relax, and spend a quiet day on my own. I may take a short hike if it feels warm enough later in the day.

But cheers to all of us. Enjoy your day the way you like, and don't drink. I love the Holidays when everyone else is doing their thing. I can finally get some work done around here.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Happy Thanksgiving all. I'm up waiting for the oven to preheat then it's off to the races. By noon it will be Swedes and Canadians up in here.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna! Happy Thanksgiving!

We got a little snow here in the Southwest desert! I only ventured out in it when my dog threw down and insisted.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving everyone! I hope everyone has a wonderful day, wherever you are. This year I’m so glad to be going into the holidays sober. I will celebrate with my favorite pie, which is cherry. (Yes, we’re having the turkey and all the fixings, but in my house, thanksgiving is all about the pie. Oh yeah, and family. But mostly pie) ❤️
Old 11-28-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here at SR!

I am grateful today for my sobriety (14 1/2 months) and my ability to be alone, but never lonely. SR has taught me that hope and support is only one click away!!

Thanks SR and many blessings to you all this holiday season!

Old 11-28-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Anna and EVERYONE - grateful for you all.

Mera "wins" for the BEST contribution on this thread! Your whole post made me so happy.

DriGuy- you've def had enough adventure in cities lately.

Writing this from the beach where my parents live (outside Charleston) and the short of it is that it is only because I got sober that I am here today - with my brother and his partner, my husband and my parents. It is a true miracle, not the least of which is that 3 yr 9 mo ago I had almost no hope that I could ever have a relationship with my only sibling again.

Oh, and we've spread our diff plans from last Sat thru our (2yr!) anniversary tomorrow night, and none involve me eating turkey. #winning

Take care all
A
Old 11-28-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

While I didn't make it to Chicago, my sister and her husband called a little while ago. I got an iPhone about 3 months ago. They just switched from Microsoft phones to iPhones. I really didn't want an iPhone, but I figured I'd have to get with the program, before someone says, "You're obviously too old for that." There was the usual learning curve involved, and I complained to them for a few weeks, while they told me I'd get used to it, which I did because I like tech stuff. Now they are in the learning curve and so frustrated that they are going to take an iPhone class. Now I'm telling them they will like it eventually, although I only know some small percentage of what iPhones are good for. But I was telling them how to move and consolidate app icons, feeling like a guru, because this was their current frustration.

So we are chattering away, and suddenly my brother-in-law says, "Hey we're on face time!" And I responded, "What's face time?" And he says, "We can see each other."

"We can? How did we do that?"

"I dunno, I just got a message saying you were inviting us to join you on face time."

"How did that happen?"

"You must have activated it."

"I did? How?"

Anyway, now were looking at each other and starting to act like little kids with toys.

"Here, look at my Christmas tree."

"Look at me I'm picking my teeth with a tooth pick."

"Look at my new photos that I mounted."

Now I'm walking to different rooms showing them photos and my grandfather clock, while they walking around showing me artwork.

"Here's a piece of art we bought from a homeless man on the street for $10. He was a schizophrenic and died last year. Now some of his stuff is selling for $20,000, and we think this one is better than his other stuff."

"Are you going to have it appraised?"

"We are thinking about it."

"How do we turn face time off?"

"I don't know. I don't even know how I turned it on."

So we talked about how we could figure out how to turn it off, while frantically pressing icons and buttons. Until we lost a connection. They called me back telling me how to turn it off.

"That was you? Are you sure you turned it off? I thought I turned it off."
Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

While I didn't make it to Chicago, my sister and her husband called a little while ago. I got an iPhone about 3 months ago. They just switched from Microsoft phones to iPhones. I really didn't want an iPhone, but I figured I'd have to get with the program, before someone says, "You're obviously too old for that." There was the usual learning curve involved, and I complained to them for a few weeks, while they told me I'd get used to it, which I did because I like tech stuff. Now they are in the learning curve and so frustrated that they are going to take an iPhone class. Now I'm telling them they will like it eventually, although I only know some small percentage of what iPhones are good for. But I was telling them how to move and consolidate app icons, feeling like a guru, because this was their current frustration.

So we are chattering away, and suddenly my brother-in-law says, "Hey we're on face time!" And I responded, "What's face time?" And he says, "We can see each other."

"We can? How did we do that?"

"I dunno, I just got a message saying you were inviting us to join you on face time."

"How did that happen?"

"You must have activated it."

"I did? How?"

Anyway, now were looking at each other and starting to act like little kids excited with something new.

"Here, look at my Christmas tree."

"Look at me I'm picking my teeth with a tooth pick."

"Look at my new photos that I mounted."

Now I'm walking to different rooms showing them photos and my grandfather clock, while they walking around showing me artwork.

"Here's a piece of art we bought from a homeless man on the street for $10. He was a schizophrenic and died last year. Now some of his stuff is selling for $20,000, and we think this one is better than his other stuff."

"Are you going to have it appraised?"

"We are thinking about it."

"How do we turn face time off?"

"I don't know. I don't even know how I turned it on."

So we talked about how we could figure out how to turn it off, while frantically pressing icons and buttons, until we lost a connection. They called me back telling me how to turn it off.

"That was you? Are you sure you turned it off? I thought I turned it off."
Old 11-28-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life is good

Double thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving, Anna and All!!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Double thanks.
Confounded computers and iphones!
Old 11-28-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Happy thanksgiving

Just me and my wife. Already had a delicious meal. Going to go see a movie in a while. (Knives out).

:-)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you, Anna--and Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate! I'm not feasting today for my friend throws a huge holiday potluck this Sunday --all our friends get together after the various family obligations and have another huge meal -- that will be my celebration--I'm a vegetarian and there will be lots of veggie dishes at the party. There was also a holiday luncheon at my college last week; it was very nice to sit down with my professors, staff and fellow students. This is my 4th sober Thanksgiving, and for that I am endlessly grateful.