Notices

Hate crime directed at me.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hate crime directed at me.

So I live in this nice little village here in Italy. Everyone locally knows me and everyone is nice. However, 2 days ago I found a note at my front gate. On it was a swastika and various antisimetic phrases. I didn't think much of it as I am not Jewish, though my ex-husband in the US was Jewish and we celebrated various holidays, a tradition I continue here for my kids simply for educational purposes.
So to kind of reach out and feel connected I put up a post on the local village's fb page. Various people offered kind words. It was more attention seeking than anything, I didn't really feel threatened.
Apparently local journalists scope these pages and yesterday there was a half-page article in the newspaper (covering my village, but also the larger town nearby) with the absolute best, most beautiful photo from my Facebook page, and text such as "Mera is a single woman living alone on the road from x to z" they repeatedly referenced the fact I am single, live alone, have no family nearby and seriously, given the small town it is, just saying I like on "the road going from this small village to the next" they might as well have given my exact address.

I am angry and afraid. For the first time in my lifer here in Italy I am actually afraid.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, in any case, if someone shows up at my house they have another thing coming to them. OBVIOUSLY on fb we put up only the most amazing pictures. The one they chose for the article was really my moment. I look like hell now. But I know that violence against women is not based on looks or beauty, it is just to be violent.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are personal data protection laws that allow you to challenge their actions if you didn't give your consent for any of it. If the descriptions could lead to your address (and it's serious), it might be considered that they revealed your info without literally writing it out.

An example here (hypothetical) would be to write about the 'horrible actions of the 110 yr old lady in town X'. Given how few 110-yr-old ladies there are in any given town, that's tantamount writing out someone's name without 'writing it out'. In that case they couldn't rely on the 'but we did not add her name...' argument because they might as well have....

Just an idea if it troubles you
Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mera, I’m sorry this is happening to you. Please be careful.

My daughter is very petite. She also converted to Judaism before getting married to a very nice man. While the impacts of the conversion have been a little trying from a personal standpoint, mostly I worry about her/their safety. It’s a real thing.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry it's left you angry and afraid Mera.

It's likely the vandalism was more random rather than directed at you and I hope that proves to be the case and it proves to be a one off.

Regardless, I hope you've involved the local police.

As for the rest unfortunately these days anything anyone commits to social media is fair game for the media.

I hope that by next week the journalists will be onto the next local story.

D
Old 10-17-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree with all of your points. I think the media just took it as a new story because there was nothing left to report on i this sleepy town. What bothers me is they reported my full name, more or less my address (seriously, just put in my address) and the crucial fact that I am a single woman, living alone. I absolutely did not give permission for this. I did call the police and said it was nothing urgent, but I wanted to make a formal report in case something else happened.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know what the media laws are in Italy about things like that, but I hope the police will find the neo nazi idiots, mera.

D
Old 10-17-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know what the media laws are in Italy about things like that, but I hope the police will find the neo nazi idiots, mera.

D
Not sure of the laws, but at this point it doesn't metter, all of my information is already out there so what good would a lawsuit do?

But, my main point was what you stated above, to bring light too and call out the people who did this.

I repeat, I do not think it was directed at me, I think it was just a coincidence, but regardless these people need to know that hate has no home here.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Police will deal with the vandalism. But it might be good to report the story of your info being released to Garante per la protezione dei dati personali. This is then the Italian data protection authority who must act upon receiving info about violations.
The news outlet could get a serious fine and a lesson in data protection - it's extremely reckless conduct on their behalf. Heck, I mean in research (e.g. using an extract from an online forum etc) you'd get in craploads of trouble for ethics reasons. Journalists have codes of ethics they must abide by, so putting such info out there...geez, a decent place would start sharpening the axe and call in the editor who allowed it.

Good luck and stay safe, Mera.
​​​​​
Old 10-17-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mera, if I were you, I’d report the hate crime to the police, paeticulary given that it’s public now. You say you feel it’s not directed at you, yet previously you disclosed that you practiced certain traditions with your children. Was that when they lived with you in the small village? If so, the hate crime may well have been directed and not just coincidence.

Please Mera, if it happens again, don’t publicise it on social media, approach the Police. In the U.K., some of the tabloid newspaper articles are simply harvested straight from social media, with meither consent, nor checking of facts. Social media is now dangerous, for anyone who values their privacy.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's awful Mera, both the hate crime and the way your personal information has been reported in the press. I think making a formal report to the police about the entire situation sounds wise. So sorry you're having to go through this and really hope everything turns out ok.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hopefully the note was just a random incident. There are idiots in this world who find this sort of thing funny for some reason. I agree with the others that it can’t hurt to report it to police.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mera, this is awful! I certainly would call the newspaper and complain to the editor. Printing your private information and location is outrageous. I'd be more than a little furious!

Be aware and please stay safe.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry that happened to you, Mera. I'm glad you called the police.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The main thing to remember here is that you have done nothing wrong at all.

My guess is it's probably kids trying to scare you, as with all news it's read and forgotten within a day or 2 before something else comes along.

Maybe if you are still worried then put up a dummy CCTV camera or a wireless one

Last edited by Dee74; 10-17-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 10-17-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mera, you are absolutely right to have made a formal complaint to the police. It is probably small comfort but the fact that it was reported might deter the sick person who did it. Take care.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Our world has changed. No one seems to be safe from the nastiness of others. I drove a BMW to work only to have someone scratch my paint. Several times, like more than three. I got angry and found an older Subaru station wagon (20 years old) and started driving it to work. Not one scratch.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I cant believe people like that are still walking around.

I live down south now and there are still the die hards flying the confederate flag.

For those that need to catch up, WW2 was over a long time ago. There is no Nazi party.

And for the "confederates", you lost that war.

Why cant people get over this crap?

They give me a headache

Mera glad you called the police and I hope it was a bunch of stupid kids a not an adult.

Lord have mercy.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Like I said I am more annoyed/upset about the newspaper report than the actual incident.
I actually feel quite safe here in general as well as in my house personally. I have an alarm system, metal bars over all of my windows as well as a metal bar safety door at the only entrance. I have a personal alarm next to my bed as well as a pepper spray gun. At that handy baseball bat and golf club hidden by the door!
I did just make a quick report to the police so it is all on file and think that in a day or two no one will even remember this.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said I am more annoyed/upset about the newspaper report than the actual incident.
Unfortunately like Tatsy said, many media outlets are now trawling social media for stories.

It's a shame but these days everyone has to offset the value of venting against the possibility that some not entirely scrupulous newspaper might use the details to fill their front page.

Hopefully it's already yesterdays news Mera

D

D