Notices

I'm pretty happy right now

Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm pretty happy right now

I'm a married man with no kids, and when my wife used to leave town, I'd get myself into pretty good trouble. Back in 2012/2013 her father died and she was gone for 6 weeks. Tried my best to drink myself to death and almost succeeded. The worst ever. In 2015 she left and I had an accident (and I was drunk) in which I got hurt really bad that forced me to sell my company, my house, damn near lost my marriage and everything else. That was the last straw.

Although I got hurt in May and did not succeed in quitting alcohol until October, I did quit. My wife has been out of town for the last week and gets home Monday morning taking a red eye from LA. I feel pretty good right now that I have finally (at 50+ years of age) be a responsible adult and do the right thing. I think for most people doing the right thing is just normal everyday stuff, but I think when you have a substance abuse problem, it is a little different. I know she was nervous when she left but its been a very positive week.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great post. You're right, being a responsible adult is second-nature for many adults, but those of us with substance abuse/mental health issues, it's something we have to learn. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was older when I became a responsible adult, too. We made it, though.
I'm so glad to know you're feeling happy.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very happy to hear you are doing well. I think a lot of people that abuse alcohol and drugs already felt disconnected from most people. I know I did. I think some people abuse alcohol because they can't relate to what is going on around them. Seeing people living their lives and doing the right thing just seemed like a foreign thing. Something you knew you should be able to do, but don't know how if that makes sense. Good for you for being able to become the person you want to be. Not easy. John
Old 09-27-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you there Thomas. It was on when the wife would leave with the kids. Glad you are doing good.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love hearing success stories Jeff - thank you

D
Old 09-27-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I really like reading your post. It makes me happy. Glad you are doing well.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great share!