Notices

I gotta protect this sobriety at all costs

Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I gotta protect this sobriety at all costs

I almost skipped my mtg today. I cannot ever do that. Ever. That's ALWAYS the first step to the drink for me.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do whatever it takes to stay sober.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this, Press! As you say, protect your sobriety this time around no matter what it takes.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meeting a day keeps the booze away. ✌ keep it up
Old 09-05-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. Sobriety is Priority!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I almost skipped my mtg today. I cannot ever do that. Ever. That's ALWAYS the first step to the drink for me.
Hi Press, I am glad you are going to meetings regularly and I hope they are giving you the encouragement and guidance to do what it takes to recover from this awful illness.

I just wanted to examine your post a little more deeply, the part about stopping meetings being the first step towards relapse. I know, on the surface it seems that way. Lots of people say it so it must be true?

Over they years I have had the chance to talk to a number of AA members thinking about leaving. When I ask why they say much the same thing. One chap, still sober, put it this way. "I have been going to AA for three years and done everything that I have been told (which was don't drink and go to lots of meetings) and nothing has changed. AA doesn't work. Others say simply they left because they were not getting anything out of it.

I met these folks when we started a meeting which at the time was a bit of a novelty, a big book study. Without exception they all said they had no idea this material existed, nobody had told them.

There is an important passage in the book about a common solution being the main ingredient of the bond that holds us together. I found myself that when I began experiencing the solution through following the program, I really did start to get something out of it, a sense of belonging and hope, a feeling of satisfaction and purpose, that kept me wanting more.

When it first got going, AA was a spiritual program of action with a support group to help with the program. Nowadays it is sometimes a support group with an optional program. How useful AA is may depend upon which group you happen to land in.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thx for the encouragement. I have a sponsor who is really into the book and steps. I'm not into it but I'll do it cause I need help.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes Press, I agree. I think in early sobriety we need to overflow ourselves with recovery methods, tools, and support. Throw yourself into it with everything you have. As you get some sober time you can start to see what really works and what doesn't and tweak your plan accordingly. But putting sobriety first and foremost is the most important thing.

Keep going. You're doing great.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good going Press- and I really agree w what Mike said and the deeper level he took your very common (and not-wrong) thoughts about meetings to...I find there is tremendous value in the "don't drink and go to meetings" mantra, however there is so much more to it than that, for the kind of life in recovery that I want.

Some days, a meeting will be the thing to literally keep me sober, perhaps.
Building on that means that regular attendance for me is important.
Attendance has had a flow over my 3.5 yr and for the last 2 consistently meant that 4-6 is best for me. If I dip as low as 2 a week, I need to self correct mostly BECAUSE...
Attendance is part of what helps me maintain my program. It ties into the steps and the life you mention being willing to consider working with a sponsor.

And to me, that's the true crux of living a life in recovery. Remembering that getting to a meeting is always a good idea for at least that one reason I mentioned- and that it's not what the program of AA is about.

Keep going. Do what you need to today, and I'd suggest keep on probing the thoughts you are having about what you need for the full sober life you want.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In recovery, we don't get a day off.

Protecting my sobriety is my number 1 priority all day long every single day.

For me that includes staying close to God and the 12 steps all day.

It's work so far, so I'll continue to "dance with the one who brung me."
Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great phrasing!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good stuff...I am always vigilant about 'backsliding', be it meetings, making the bed, HALTS, cleaning, isolating. Such can be indicators of becoming complacent, which can lead to a relapse.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Go claim your "seat" asap...
Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
In recovery, we don't get a day off.

Protecting my sobriety is my number 1 priority all day long every single day.

For me that includes staying close to God and the 12 steps all day.

It's work so far, so I'll continue to "dance with the one who brung me."
Hee hee. Yup.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was late to meeting today. I told my sponsor. It's no big deal but I hide everything so I'm trying to do the opposite. I'm still hella cranky. But I've also felt relief. Lightness.