Notices

Day 15 with new tools

Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Day 15 with new tools

Just posting an update on progress. Woke up today to sober Day 15. It’s not all roses but what a great feeling of clarity and relief.

I’ve lost count of my past relapses, but I do feel I learned something every time. A new “aha” moment, a new quote, a new coping tool.

This time, here’s what I did differently:

1. I went to a formal detox. Great decision in hindsight. They not only offered medically supervised detox, but also support for next steps. And I met people there who I remain in touch with.

2. I accepted their help and followed up detox with intensive outpatient work. Three meetings in to this and it’s awesome. We’ve been talking about PAWS quite a bit since we are all in early recovery. This is a real thing for me and not to be taken lightly. Just knowing it exists and how it manifests is huge.

3. I’m developing a fellowship of friends in recovery. We text daily, have met for coffee and go to meetings together. We help each other. I give and accept help. Before I tried to do it alone. Never worked.

4. I’m meditating daily. Even 10 minutes is a huge help. It cultivates the pause between thought and action.

5. I started on naltrexone. Can’t tell how this is helping, but my alcohol cravings are pretty minimal. Apparently others have had good experiences with it.

I’m still not sleeping well, am frequently irritable and forgetful. Concentration not great, but I’m being gentle and patient, I’m 51 and an older body takes time to recover.

I want to beat myself up for not “getting it” earlier in life. If I had figured all this out at 25 or 30...what if. But I count my blessings and remind myself these were the cards I was dealt in life. I can fold or keep playing, and I choose to play on.

Thanks for reading. If you’re younger, don’t wait, embrace recovery now, accept help especially from professionals and throw your energy into sobriety like your life depends on it. Because it literally does.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You really inspire me with this. You sound like you really got this. Well done. Really well done.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done, and a formal detox is definitely the way to go if you can: it's a much softer landing. It is good to know that your brain recovers a little every day sober, and can go on repairing itself for months and years too, so concentration and sleep will slowly get better.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days. It does get better thats for sure. I mean is it all peaches and cream? No. But its called a thing called life. We ex boozers have a good sweeping under the rug life thing. Like you stated you wish you would of done this sooner. I too feel the same way. But hey better late than never. I am at 118 days today. And feeling good about it. You will too. One day at a time
Old 08-30-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
Just posting an update on progress. Woke up today to sober Day 15. It’s not all roses but what a great feeling of clarity and relief.

I’m still not sleeping well, am frequently irritable and forgetful. Concentration not great, but I’m being gentle and patient, I’m 51 and an older body takes time to recover.

I want to beat myself up for not “getting it” earlier in life. If I had figured all this out at 25 or 30...what if. But I count my blessings and remind myself these were the cards I was dealt in life. I can fold or keep playing, and I choose to play on.

Thanks for reading. If you’re younger, don’t wait, embrace recovery now, accept help especially from professionals and throw your energy into sobriety like your life depends on it. Because it literally does.
What a great post and congrats on your 15 days of freedom. Your post is inspirational, especially to someone 5 years your senior, who has had similar experiences to yours over the many years.

I have heard great things about Naltrexone. I chose the Baclofen medication route because I knew that I had to have a 'brain' change in addition to not physically or mentally wanting more alcohol when I chose to drink.

Again, thank you for your post.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful post. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Pinnacle

D
Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Had the best nights sleep last night in a long time. And blood pressure back down to near normal. Those two things make me very happy this morning! Thanks all. 🙏
Old 08-31-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds good!!
Old 08-31-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great going!
Old 08-31-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post, loved reading it, inspiring