Notices

Alcoholics Anonymous

Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous

... is the best thing you could ever hope for as an alcoholic. It's not a cult. They're not trying to "convert" you. They've just seen the horrors of putting yourself at a ******* .30+ BAC every single day, or once a week, or however often you do it - for years and years. They've seen people die of liver cirrhosis, pancreatitis, alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, etc. They've seen people survive crashes caused by them when they were drunk and not able to live with themselves. They've seen victims of horrible circumstances that turned to alcoholism as a crutch and never came out of it. You've done it, they've seen it.

If you're like me, and all you wanted to do was see the worst in AA and use it as a reason to drink, be honest with yourself.

I'm Chris, I'm an alcoholic, and I'll ******* die before I ever drink again.

It's also the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Them's fightin' words.
And so good to hear. AA is people trying to help people (mainly). I think some decide to use various reasons not to go- because it is easier in taking out the real message of the meetings, than it is to change their thinking.
Well done, TWTOM.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've found something that helps and to be passionate about Chris

D
Old 08-30-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it works for you, Chris.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, Old Me, we could usually tell when someone was heading for their next drink.

They'd start complalining about how hot the rooms were, or about the fat lady picking her nose right in the middle of meetings, or I'm tired of people pushing God on me, or there are too many cliques, or people don't understand me, or why do they let people smoke in meetings fer christ's sake, or why do they force people to do the steps, or I'm different, or this AA thing just isn't for me, or blah blah blah.

AA isn't the only thing that works, but it works. You're right, Old, they know how to stay away from a drink and they know what happens when you don't.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It works for a lot of people. Glad it works for you.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post

They'd start complalining about how hot the rooms were, or about the fat lady picking her nose right in the middle of meetings, or I'm tired of people pushing God on me, or there are too many cliques, or people don't understand me, or why do they let people smoke in meetings fer christ's sake, or why do they force people to do the steps, or I'm different, or this AA thing just isn't for me, or blah blah blah.
So true.

Picking fault with and then isolating from our chosen form of recovery is a convenient way to return to drinking. Whilst telling ourselves that it wasn't our fault, it was because of …………..
Old 08-30-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All of that was me, Rocky.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There’s many paths to sobriety and AA is indeed one with irrefutable evidence of many, many people who’ve recovered from alcoholism and have lived contented lives with decades of sobriety.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Though I'm an atheist and just see God stuff as something that helps others. And I'd never call someone "fat" because there are a plethora of medical disorders and circumstances that can lead to obesity.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It could easily just be a slow metabolism. She's not the "fat lady" that picks her nose, she's the normal person that picks her nose - alcoholic if she chooses to identify as such.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
Yeah, Old Me, we could usually tell when someone was heading for their next drink.

AA isn't the only thing that works, but it works. You're right, Old, they know how to stay away from a drink and they know what happens when you don't.
You do a great job listing the reasons people leave AA that I have heard over the years.

And we know how the story usually ends.