Notices

Still looking for everlasting sobriety

Old 08-26-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still looking for everlasting sobriety

Hi All,

I thought I would say hello to those that I have posted with (and to anyone else for that matter). I'm back on day seven - which is pretty good. I've gone through all the usual (shakes, anxiety, sleeplessness etc.) and feel I am over the worst part now.

As many of you know I've been through this all before. 50 days sober here; 40 days sober there etc. Then it all seems to go downhill again.

I know SR well enough to know that most that will bother to reply will ask "what are you going to do differently this time?" which is of course a valid enquiry. The answer is that I am not entirely sure? I'm really not into the idea of AA - researched it - read some of the Big Book - looked up meetings in my local area - but I know the whole higher power thing will be an issue for me (I know it doesn't have to be God). So for those of you about to suggest AA then please don't think I haven't looked into it (I accept I haven't tried a meeting yet and yes I would have nothing to lose and I might go to one).

One thing I might do differently is how I use SR. Previously I was always in classes and my morning posting style was almost like a blog or journal. In the end it almost becomes a routine that forgets what its actual purpose is and becomes an update on my life (diet, fitness, work, holidays, current thoughts) as opposed to working a plan on simply NOT drinking. So that will be one thing I will change - this isn't an internet chat 'thingy' - this is life or death (my liver was hurting when I gave up seven days ago) - I need to treat it with all of my energy.

I hope you're all ok? I would give shout outs to so many of you but I would worry I might miss one or two names due to the Shiraz murdered brain cells! So just to say - you know who you are and that I read your posts sometimes as a 'lurker'.

All the Best

JT
Old 08-26-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Tony. I remember you.

A fight for life is exactly what it is. Treat it accordingly.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Sounds like a plan. Glad you’re past the early physical withdrawals. They truly suck.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Life or death? Do you believe that?

I'm asking because you don't get to fight a life or death struggle under your own terms and conditions.

Didn't work for me; I've never seen it work for anyone else.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found reading this naked mind extreamly helpful.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
Life or death? Do you believe that?

I'm asking because you don't get to fight a life or death struggle under your own terms and conditions.

Didn't work for me; I've never seen it work for anyone else.
I've been around here a bit longer than you and if there is one thing I have discovered is that there are many routes to complete recovery. The only theme that seems to be consistent is that you have a plan, some kind of support mechanism, and that you stick with it. AA is by far the most prevalent and successful (I'm guessing you're in AA?) but there are other ways of doing it including under your own T&C's (I suggest you read a few more success stories on here).

Will I have a successful recovery? I don't know. I'm working on it as best that I can.

Regards,

JT
Old 08-26-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
One thing I might do differently is how I use SR. Previously I was always in classes and my morning posting style was almost like a blog or journal. In the end it almost becomes a routine that forgets what its actual purpose is and becomes an update on my life (diet, fitness, work, holidays, current thoughts) as opposed to working a plan on simply NOT drinking. So that will be one thing I will change - this isn't an internet chat 'thingy' - this is life or death (my liver was hurting when I gave up seven days ago) - I need to treat it with all of my energy.
Glad you are back and posting, JT!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Tony!

And, yes, there are many ways to find lasting recovery, and I know you will be able to find a route that works for you.

I do think that reading and posting here can be very helpful as you read about other people's struggles and successes and find your way through early recovery.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everlasting sobriety; just take it a day at a time. Stay sober for today and you’ll never drink again.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back, JustTony. I was very glad to read your post. I’m in a similar position. We CAN do this!

As you’ll already know, there’s a wealth of support and guidance here on SR, to include posts, reading resources, members.

At the moment I’m in PM dialogue with some posters on my thread. Their insightfulness through experience is astonishing, and I’m truly benefiting. I wholeheartedly endorse reaching out to folks on SR, and it appears from your post, you did so previously?

You are not alone.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to have you back Tony!

I would say identify when your weak points are and work on a way of nullifying them. For me that meant getting up really early, doing some exercise (nothing strenuous) which made me tired enoughto go to bed at a reasonable hour and avoid peak craving time.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Ive had many attempts at recovery. Like you, I’m not an AA fan. I can also be fiercely independent and have thought I could outsmart my addiction. Didn’t work, so I’ve surrendered to the idea that I need a people centered approach. I cannot do this alone. I am going to try Smart Recovery. We also have here Refuge Recovery, which is a network of AA meetings with a Buddhist emphasis. That suits me better.

So my humble suggestion would be to be honest about what you really need for recovery and go find it. Many groups, tools and people out there. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You seem to know your weak and strong points and that is a massive plus. Trial and error work for many things in life, perhaps also sobriety. Best wishes.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Everybody,

When I say you don't get to fight a life or death struggle under your own terms and conditions, I'm not talking about a path to recovery...there are as many plans as there are people. Me? I'm not a believer, but AA saved my life. It was more important to me to stop drinking than struggle with the "God thing."

What I'm trying to say is no plan works in regards to alcohol unless the person surrenders, gives up the fight against the bottle, surrenders to the complete notion that you can't drink and can't moderate it. That's why I haven't had cravings or relapses, because for some reason my surrender in the battle against alcohol was apparently complete. Don't know why, but it was.

In my fight with alcohol, I (the surrendering side) doesn't get to set the terms and conditions. You are beat, you're done. There is no more "Yeah...but..." about it. You don't get to negotiate the terms of your sobriety; it isn't a contract with a bunch of paragraphs and clauses about what you will and won't do.

Tony, it sounds to me like you have a lot of pre-conditions and some reluctance about what you are and aren't, might or might not, be willing to do -- but it could be that's just the way your post comes across to me.

I don't know if how I'm saying this is making sense, or, actually, if much of what I say around here is making sense!!! It's okay.

Last edited by ColoradoRocky; 08-26-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typing!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I get what you’re saying, ColardoRocky, regarding surrender, but I don’t use that word. Semantics, I know, but it helps me.

After my recent experience, drinking again, after two and a half years. For me, and I think we’re maybe talking about the same thing, maybe? I’m now at the point, after much deliberation, that (I replace surrender-but you possibly mean the same thing?) I ‘accept’ that I must not, cannot, and won’t drink again: and that is the final decision for me. A line in the sand drawn. Is that similar to your experience?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

Hi JT, I don't know about everlasting sobriety but I do know that today is great!

I keep repeating the things and behaviors that work and turning away from things and behaviors that don't. Doing this leads me to more things and behaviors that work, kind of self propagating in nature.

I am glad to be on this walk with you!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was in a life and death battle trying to control/stop my drinking. The bottle won. Then I finally waved the white flag, surrendered, accepted that alcohol was the "winner," admited that I had been beat.

I'm exagrerating when I say this but if the people I asked for help, who knew how to stay away from a drink, had told me to stand on my head in the town square and sing "Yankee-Doodle-Dandy," I would have done it!

I don't know how well known this is, but I believe the original wording of the first step was, "We admitted we were licked, that we could not control our drinking."

I don't think it matters what your plan or program is if it doesn't start with that, at least not when it comes to alcoholism.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to see you back Tony. I'm in a similar position and also asking myself what will I do differently this time. And not having an answer to it either,
Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm exagrerating when I say this but if the people I asked for help, who knew how to stay away from a drink, had told me to stand on my head in the town square and sing "Yankee-Doodle-Dandy," I would have done it!

amen. for me it was paint myself green, stand on my head and sing the Star Spangled Banner! same degree of willingness. cuz one thing i knew i didn't know.....how to STAY sober. so i wasn't gonna argue with those who DID know. or keep trying to do it my way. cuz my way was an epic FAIL before there WAS such a thing!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi JT,
Great to see your post. I have wondered how you were doing. No great wisdom from me but wanted to express love and support to you. I’m still trying to find everlasting sobriety too. This is tough stuff, but we will get there.