Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New here, looking for support in recovery, the more sober time, comes with sadness,

Notices

New here, looking for support in recovery, the more sober time, comes with sadness,

Old 08-20-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Captains log, Star date 2019 August 19,
ive begun my excavation here within this forum in hopes of finding new life out here. So far ive been approaches with a type of reception of do's and don'ts. All granted, i shall respect there rituals. even though they make me feel a bit cold.ive sent Mr. Spock , my chief Science Officer to tesearch the ways of this people hear, only to myself with the result and after thought, is this really going to help me. I hope so, becaise my life is depending on it. You see ive been sober now for 9 months and change. And im finding out that im scarred to death that imay relapse and if that happens, ill loose my wife and three kids. Oh yeah and to make it better im bipolar. Any advice i would greatly appreciate. I want to make it, but i feel like im beeing squeezed into a little box that i just somply cant breath in.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to sober recovery. Sorry you are finding early sobriety difficult. Hope we can help with that.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9+ months. This was a tricky time for me & I did in fact relapse twice. This time I’m 1+ year sober & the difference was the belief that I could do it. Stay sober & live a better life. Reading on this site gave me that belief. I too am bipolar & alcohol is a bad, bad mix. One day @ a time, right? You can do this.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you were doing that got you 9 months of sobriety, take your meds if any for your bipolar, seek counseling/therapy for whatever is troubling you now, meditate, pray, group support and whatever else you could think of to lose the fear of relapse and why you are having this fear now.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I like your sense of humor, but you are joking about something that nearly destroyed me and others here dozens of times. Probably you as well.

Sort of like me laughing at how i almost drove my car into a telephone pole, with my 11 year old in the pax seat.

This mofo is as serious as a heart attack, but laughing is better than crying and we get the same stress release.

Now educated, I will never drink again. I was lost, but now I am found. I crave periodically, but I act like an adult and don't get what my little boy mind wants.

Then the crave goes away. It happens all the time.

I am med free and I think that helps me because I don't have to worry about getting used to my current rx.

Suffering is the way I climbed out of the hole i dug.

I enjoy as much exercise as I can muster, good food, and entertainment. All of these thing and more offer the natural opiates this addict is searching for.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Corey

9 months is great - congrats

it took me a little while to learn to trust being happy, without chemical assistance.

I was ok with sadness, it was familiar to me, and I was even ok with fear cos that was familiar to me too - but happiness and contentment scared the dickens out of me

Fortunately the support here is top notxh and you can post as much as you like when you need support.

I as terrified I'd relapse too but once I accepted that relapse was a result of my choices not some monster laying in ambush waiting for me, the fear got a lot better.

I was drinking all day everyday and had for several years.
I was in bad shape.

I got sober in 2007. No relapses since - it can be done

I started by build a sober life I loved - if you haven't thought much about what you want your sober life to look like, maybe that's something to think about - it may help you move if you're stuck?

D
Old 08-20-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have found a good captain, when faced with difficult decisions, consults Troi for input. Maybe that's the do's and don't's you see.

None here, unless you feel you need help figuring out how to stay sober. If you don't, then repair those warp engines and head out into the sober galaxy...where many men and women have gone before.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Corey, glad you managed to beam up to the SR ship. Set that phaser to kill when it comes to any notion that you can drink.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Permission to enter the deck, Captain Corey, sir.

Sir, may I respectfully suggest that you see Bones and do whatever he says, to the exact letter, when it comes to the bipolar mission. It could send the ship into a tailspin real quick.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coreyfromalska View Post
Captains log, Star date 2019 August 19,
Captains log, Star date 2010 August 3

"Thar she blows," I said from the helm of my sailboat while watching humpback whales in Chatham Straight just north of Petersburg. So what part of Alaska are you from? Yeah, I know it's a big state and you still might be 2000 miles from where I was.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's things Corey?

D