Notices

This is how I did it...

Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is how I did it...

Many people that know me in real life..ask me HOW I did it..

How did you go from drinking so much to stopping?

I...was sick of being sick......I knew I had to stop or die....So I decided to stop...went thru the horrendous withdrawals.....and THEN.

I DECIDED...NO MATTER WHAT...

ALCOHOL is not an OPTION....for any relief from anything.....just doesn't EXIST...I literally have to pretend alcohol does not even exist and when a thought pops in my mind...the first thing I say to combat those thoughts...is

ALCOHOL IS NOT AN OPTION.

This has worked for me for over 50 days...when I get lonely or bored I will go back to AA....to keep my mind in the right place.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are in a good place now! 50 days is great - keep holding onto that fact that drinking is never an option and you can keep going, every day.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You said something I think is very profound and t rue. You were sick of being sick. As sad as it is, many people come here wanting to know how to quit, I do believe when they finally hit their limit and are tired of being sick and drunk all the time, they have a good chance of quitting.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning right on . right there with you. I too was sick of being sick. I became a booze junkie . I still am ...just in remission hopefully for life. But I will take these 101. Days of joy. Congrats on 50. Keep coming back
Old 08-13-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree with you more Missy. It's not an option - ever - for me either and I'm close to the same number of days as you. We must never forget that fact.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on your 50 days.

When I was ready to stop, I was good and ready. I drew a line in the sand, and told myself alcohol was simply off the table, not an option anymore. I went to AA right away and got into Intensive Outpatient within a week also, because I knew I might not make it on my own, even though my mind was made up and it felt really different from the other times I had decided to quit. If anyone asks me now if I'm done drinking for good, the answer is an easy YES. I used to say "that's the plan," but now I just say yes. That I had enough to last a lifetime and then some. I really enjoy life now, and I never forget where I came from and how much better I feel in pretty much every way possible.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Many people that know me in real life..ask me HOW I did it..

How did you go from drinking so much to stopping?

I...was sick of being sick......I knew I had to stop or die....So I decided to stop...went thru the horrendous withdrawals.....and THEN.

I DECIDED...NO MATTER WHAT...

ALCOHOL is not an OPTION....for any relief from anything.....just doesn't EXIST...I literally have to pretend alcohol does not even exist and when a thought pops in my mind...the first thing I say to combat those thoughts...is

ALCOHOL IS NOT AN OPTION.

This has worked for me for over 50 days...when I get lonely or bored I will go back to AA....to keep my mind in the right place.
When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
The truth is that people abuse substances because they think there are sufficient benefits in doing so. The reverse is also true.

Romans 12:2 " And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

No rocket science here, just scripture and behaviors science.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Misssy

D
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with you. What it takes is a rock solid immovable decision. NO ALCOHOL. I see lots of newcomers here battling to stop and somehow looking for an easy and painless end to the misery. A golden bullet that will magically turn tragedy into triumph. There is no such thing. The absolute resolve must come from within and that must be followed by a definite plan and hard work.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for this. I love AA and the people it has brought into my life, grateful for that and for this (SR!) everyday...
Old 08-14-2019, 01:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on 50 day. What an achievement and your 'alcohol is not an option' mantra is ringing true with me too and I am going to use this! Thank you.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking is not an option. That is exactly the way I have viewed and currently view my relationship with alcohol. It has kept me sober for 37 years.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How crazy that we once thought of it as a friend that would help see us through stressful times. All it did was mask our feelings & cause more anxiety. As you said, it's not a relief from anything!
Thank you for a helpful post, Misssy! So proud of you.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A wise man once said, "in order to stop drinking, first you must stop drinking." Not drinking no matter what turned out to be only the beginning of my recovery from alcoholism, but as a first step it was absolutely essential.

I'm not a big "tips and tricks" guy, but one that seemed to help me in the early days was to visualize all roads leading to a drink as actual roads blocked by stout barriers and big circle-slash "ROAD CLOSED" signs. I visualized these barriers on every devious sneaky back route my "AV" might try to take to get me to drink.