Notices

Pain is a way of life now.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think if we share what has actually worked for us, it is helpful additional info for the OP to think about.
I was also in constant and acute pain in my neck until I started the yoga, and began working with a chiropractor and getting deep tissue massage.
The yoga in the end was the most effective of all the modalities, though all were helpful.

As he said, he hadn't considered diet as even a contributing factor. The joint pain I have is inflammation, so it was different than the short muscles / stress locks my neck had before, but the combo of yoga and diet modification has really begun to pay off.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
I would ask your Doctor about CBD apparently it is pretty good for pain relief and easy on the kidneys and liver. Not to mention there is no high.
Not to beat the CBD horse, but there is research to support that CBD is highly toxic to the liver. CBD is only medically approved for epilepsy and this warning accompanies the prescription. Be very careful with CBD.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That is true about CBD....I hope there are better studies done so this can be better understood. The dosages they gave the mice were astronomical. I mean, about 1000 times more than I, an adult human, would take. So not sure what the deal is there. And they don't indicate whether the CBD is hemp based or cannabis based. And cannabis CBD is now hybridized to have no/to little thc so it has no mind altering affect. Totally different animal than hemp.

I hope they do studies like they have done on fructose and liver damage/disease. Sugar is a huge inflammatory agent and can cause all kinds of damage, internal swelling and joint pain. No bueno. Oh and its linked to dementia....so I see why Keto has such great benefits. She says while she's eating zucchini bread...with lots of sugar.....

Oh well!
Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love zucchini bread--nom nom nom

But I am dutifully having my salami with fresh mozzarella soaked in beautiful organic Spanish red garlic and olive oil. That tastes pretty darn good too.

The only shots I do now are olive oil.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
That is true about CBD....I hope there are better studies done so this can be better understood. The dosages they gave the mice were astronomical. I mean, about 1000 times more than I, an adult human, would take. So not sure what the deal is there. And they don't indicate whether the CBD is hemp based or cannabis based. And cannabis CBD is now hybridized to have no/to little thc so it has no mind altering affect. Totally different animal than hemp.

I hope they do studies like they have done on fructose and liver damage/disease. Sugar is a huge inflammatory agent and can cause all kinds of damage, internal swelling and joint pain. No bueno. Oh and its linked to dementia....so I see why Keto has such great benefits. She says while she's eating zucchini bread...with lots of sugar.....

Oh well!
Yeah, I wonder about the legitimacy of that study, as well. I mean, people have died from drinking a couple of gallons of water, so results can be manipulated if one has an agenda. As usual, best to do lots of research and consult your doctor.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Physiotherapy has been great for me and my pain issues Jeff. Watching my diet's been good too, and making sure best I can my life's in balance.

Sure I have a script for opiates as well and NSAIDS on hand but I try not to use those things too much, even tho I've never misused them.

I get nervous when folks start recommending pills and tinctures cos thats the way I got into trouble in the first place.

I might be around another 30 years. I want to explore lifestyle things rather than meds and potions, where I can.

D
Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Diet for sure has a lot to do with aches and pains as I notice a lot of them went away after eating better. Wonder why Dr's never mention this yet is mentioned many times here
Old 08-13-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I said "helpful" only because overwhelming info from lots of people isn't always that for me. Not to invalidate any of it.

I certainly plan to talk to my surgeon and regular back dr and PT people about all helpful ideas for my situation.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sounds like aches and pains are pretty common among the folks on this forum, and I appreciate all the feedback.

I have not had much time to delve into the diet aspect, but I will. I imagine there is probably some nutritional supplements that aid in joint pain (I think chondroiten might be one).

Regarding exercise, I do weight training, its what I know how to do and enjoy it. It also seems to help with the pain.

ps. I think alcoholism played a factor, I am also one of those folks that had serious muscle and joint pain from statins. I'm speculating on these things and I guess it doesn't matter, but I wanted to try and pinpoint where this came from.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Before the exercise and physio I tried Glucosamine but I couldn't discern too much of a difference.

I prefer to focus on what I eat rather than supplements Jeff.

There's a lot of foods that can contribute to joint inflammation for example.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fo...is#bottom-line

D
Old 08-14-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Dee, I've bookmarked it.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great thread! I'm going to pay more attention to my diet. I also get a deep tissue massage with stretching almost monthly which has done wonders for my hips as well as my shoulder. I've also lost about 20 pounds so I think that has really helped too.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Great thread! I'm going to pay more attention to my diet. I also get a deep tissue massage with stretching almost monthly which has done wonders for my hips as well as my shoulder. I've also lost about 20 pounds so I think that has really helped too.
You bring up some greaet points. There is no reason I can't spend 15 minutes a day doing some stretching exercises. I also agree that massag and a chiropractor can also help. Not in the cards for me right now. But thanks for reminding me.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey Thomas, sorry to hear about your pain. I can relate somewhat. I used to get extreme, debilitating pain in my lower back from time to time. I had it checked out -- scanned and all -- and there are two bad disks, apparently. The doctor suggested surgery, but after doing some research, I decided against it. I'm glad I did.

What worked for me was a combination of physical therapy, acupuncture, and some dietary changes. The physical therapist gave me some stretching exercises that I do regularly. The flare ups are few and far between now, and not as severe; when I walked into the doctor's office two years ago, I could barely walk. The doc tested my sciatic nerve and said it was so shredded, she couldn't believe I was walking.

On the dietary front: cut out sugar, drink TONS of water (most people are walking around dehydrated and don't even know it) and fast for 24 hours once a week. Fasting is incredibly good for you, especially good for the liver as the body takes fat from the liver first when it's deprived of calories. Look up autophagy -- it's basically the cells eating all the bad stuff they don't need.

I don't know what people are saying about CBD, but I got a lotion that is like a miracle. When I feel a twinge of pain, I rub some of that stuff on there, and it's gone. It's surely not as bad as any toxin the pharmaceutical industry sells if it's bad at all.

Anyway, I'm sure you can get through this. Alcohol definitely won't make it any better.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

For anyone still following this thread, what do you know about Prednisone, not looking for medical advice on how to use it etc... just wondering what you've heard regarding side effects etc....

I have used it on a couple different occasions, non opiate, non narcotic and it makes all the pain go away. I just get puffy.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with it Jeff.

Regardless of what feedback you get here, if its a drug only available on script you'd best talk with your doctor cos none of us know what other meds you're on or what your general health is like.

D
Old 08-16-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

T11,

So sorry to hear about your pain.

Great thoughts here. Diet is very helpful, and I take CBD drops without any THC and it has no side effects.

For myself, I would be careful about taking Prednisone, which is a corticosteroid (and I think the CBD has much fewer risks).

But of course, the most important thing before taking any medication is to see your doctor (as you know).
Old 08-16-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have no experience with it Jeff.

Regardless of what feedback you get here, if its a drug only available on script you'd best talk with your doctor cos none of us know what other meds you're on or what your general health is like.

D
Fair enough, thanks Dee. My only known information is that long term is does have an impact on the immune system, which would not be good.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about CDB oil. I also don't know if you can get legal or medical marijuana. If you want to give it a try, it might help. You don't have to vape it either. Today's marijuana you get at a dispensary will take about two tokes and you should feel pain relief. Again, I don't want to advocate any drug use but I know from experience that marijuana relieves pain.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jim as someone with a history of pot addiction, and as moderator of the Marijuana Addiction forum here, I gotta say I find that a poor suggestion.

Guys share your personal experience only please, and plese share that experience in a responsible way.

Recommending specific meds or treatments is against our medical rules.

'This is what I did' not 'this is what you should do',

thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR