Notices

Congratulations to one of my favourites!

Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Congratulations to one of my favourites!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/enter...rnd/index.html

I have seen Elton John play live six times (all after him becoming sober) and he put on an amazing show, always reaching at least three hours, if not more. Full of energy and happiness. I do believe there is no way he would be able to keep up such energy and great performance until the end had he been under the influence. And that is just his job, I can only imagine how much better his life in general has become.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I saw him in February. It was my first time seeing him live (and last, I guess). I was blown away. Probably in my top 3 for concerts ever. And I've been to a LOT.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

How are you doing, Mera?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh bugger, I had tickets that we bought a year ago to see him at the Montreux jazz festival back in June...we go over there to stay with family but couldn’t make the trip abroad this summer and ended up having to sell the tickets! I think I actually grieved most of June. At least Rocketman was released at the same time...sigh
Old 07-31-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have seen him perform and he is great. And, I loved Rocketman.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I saw him in 2007 my seat was so far away I could barely see him WITH binoculars...but his voice...was so great..as always.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Elton John is an example to us all of what can be achieved. It is also quite comforting for me to think that such a talent went through the same battles as we did and do.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My wife and I have tickets to see him on October 30.

He and I, as well as Eric Clapton, all got sober in the same time frame, so their recoveries really resonate with me.

Can't wait to see Rocketman.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have seen him several times, one of my favorites as well, he puts on such an incredible show!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I have seen him perform and he is great. And, I loved Rocketman.
I still haven’t seen it, need to schedule a movie date with my daughters. They both love his music too.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you doing Mera?
Old 08-05-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love that so many of you have seen him too! He is an absolute class act. You definitely get your money's worth at his shows. Everyone scheduled to see him, enjoy, it is his last tour.

I am doing ok. Sober, but working through my mental health issues. I am seeing a therapist twice a week here in the US and doing therapy in English has been helpful. I think I have decided to take a break from therapy when I return to Italy though. I am coming to realise how much I have leaned on therapy to have my hand held and for years have just been mulling over the same stuff over and over and over again.

Getting away from Italy and the destructive cycle I created there has been helpful. But in about a month I must return. So I am stacking together sober days, support and love from my family and friends, help from AA and help from my therapist.

I miss my kids terribly and they miss me but they are having a good, fun summer. I talk to them daily and have been sending them a postcard, card or letter about every other day.

So, I am working hard and preparing for the onslaught of emotions and problems I have to face when I return. That is my main goal right now.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Impressive and inspiring Mera. Keep doing the work - I like the phrase "chop the wood, carry the water" - and check in with us.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, have you had any more information about the court/custody issue?

I'm glad you're doing well and that you're preparing mentally for your return to Italy.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Mera, glad to see you posting and that you're doing ok. Are you making a sobriety plan for returning to Italy? What you are going to do on a daily basis, things like that.

I've been sober for quite a few 24 hours and I do many of the same things every day to support my sobriety. Things like make a phone call every day to a recovered person, text also, read literature, prayer, a little journaling, listen to meetings. Due to my work schedule, I attend only one AA and one OA meeting a week. That all ends when I get to retire the end of this year. (Can't wait!)

I hope you consider and perhaps write down what actions you are going to do to support your sobriety. The outside world doesn't change just because we change. With a close, personal relationship with a Higher Power, I can go anywhere and stay sober. You can too!
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Mera;
You sound well and like you are working really hard on your recovery.
It is wonderful you have been able to stay in such close contact with your kids.

Wishing you the best as always!