Notices

Hello... I'm new here.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello... I'm new here.

This is my first post. After talking with my doctor today, and have been dealing with depression and binge drinking for the last four years, my doc and I agreed that I am an alcoholic today.

I don't drink everyday, or crave a drink, but when I go out with my buddies or friends (2-3 days a week), I can't just have 2-3 beers, nope, I can't stop and will continue till I'm plastered, every time! This has been going on for about 4 years, ever since I graduated from college, had my fiance leave me, and then, more recently, losing my IT job 3 months ago. Because of all this, I've become very depressed, and have fallen way out of shape, I used to race mountain bikes competitively, and was very successful.

I know I get drunk to escape the depression, and the bad feelings, but only end of feeling worse after doing so.

I'm glad I found this forum on the web, and look forward to participating, and reading and learning more about this illness. Hopefully I can find some help here, as well as lend a hand to others too.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hey jdx!! Welcome to SR!! You will find a lot of experience, strength, and hope here!! It takes a lot of courage to admit you are an alcoholic. Congratulations on making that desicion. Only you can decide that, the doctor just agreed with you!!

Hang in there! Life gets better!
Hugs,
Missy
Old 11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi JD.

Welcome! Admitting I was an alcoholic was hard, but also a relief! It gave me hope that I could live a better life without alcohol. I was a binge drinker like you, and blacked out a lot, and did a lot of stupid things that I can't take back. But now, one day at a time, I work a program of sobriety and life is getting better. At least I don't wake up wondering how I got home anymore. No more hangovers either. I had gotten pretty used to waking up to the remnants of gin and tonic on my breath.

Can you get to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting too? Therer are many of them around. It's good to sit in a room with other people and talk about what's going on. For instance, this will be my first sober Thanksgiving & Holidays, and I'm finding it's helpful to be around other people experiencing that.

These are just suggestions, AA isn't for everyone, but it's helped me a lot.

Liz
Old 11-23-2004, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey (((JD))),

Welcome to SR and congrats on making a major step to grow and heal. The members on this site are very supportive and there is a lot of recovery going on around here. Keep coming back.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm new also

WELCOME . it is very hard to admit there is a problem. It is so much easier to escape into your "high world" were everything is o.k. I have found this to be very beneficail because you are able to pour your heart and head out and not feel embarrased about being in a room full of people. I wish you the best of luck :hugehug
Old 11-23-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi JD

Welcome to SR. Glad you found us.

You've had a lot going on and I can understand your feelings of depression. Having got this far, you can really begin to lift those weights off your shoulders.

You can break the vicious circle of drinking to suppress your feelings and begin to enjoy sobriety and recovery.

AA isn't the only answer, but it sure kick started my recovery. Just know that you're never alone.

I wish you courage and hope to achieve all that you want.

Rich