Notices

Worthless Loser

Old 07-21-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I started a new life, both working and personally at your age, and I don't have a degree. I started doing min wage factory work, did courses, saved, and progressed. You can certainly do the same. (the drinking problem appeared about half way through this journey, but I was able to stop).

Now I own my home, have great relationships, and am about to retire well provided for. You have decades ahead of you to make progress. Start small and look around for opportunities.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep.
That worked for previous states of affair in the US.

Back in my day we worked on the railroad in the snow while fighting off a herd of wildebeests. You can do it too. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps.

Turns out that's not how the world works anymore. This country's middle class is dwindling. You're either a have or a have not by design.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nothing changes if nothing changes, man.

We will show up for you every time you post, but nothing can get better or change if you don’t show up for yourself.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Yep.
That worked for previous states of affair in the US.

Back in my day we worked on the railroad in the snow while fighting off a herd of wildebeests. You can do it too. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps.

Turns out that's not how the world works anymore. This country's middle class is dwindling. You're either a have or a have not by design.
are still drinking? That sounds like the kind of stuff I'd spout, to be honest.

We both live in conditions millions of other people in this planet can only dream of, man.

A mate of mine just came back from Africa - if you want to build railroads and fight wildebeest buy yourself a ticket and do some volunteer work there.

Seriously - I'm not being sarcastic.
You might even get to use your degree there.

Put down the jug and get out of your own head TWTOM - this is doing you no good man..

D
Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Back in my day we worked on the railroad in the snow while fighting off a herd of wildebeests.

since you are 32 years old and the railroad was originally built in 1800s and wildebeest inhabit AFRICA, i'd have to call BS on all of that statement.

i'm in the US and firmly middle class and doing just fine.

put down the booze, embrace a sober life, and get busy making changes in your life.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking robs us of our self worth. I always hated myself when I was drinking. Thought I was worthless. It took me a little sober time to develop a new attitude, a better, more positive attitude. Put down the bottle and start loving yourself. Don't let your circumstances define you.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
nez

This country's middle class is dwindling. You're either a have or a have not by design.
If I don't have recovery, none of that matters, because no matter which camp I would fall in, it would be in hell and I would have nothing. If I have recovery, none of that matters, because no matter which camp I would fall in, I would have everything that really matters.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Drinking robs us of our self worth. I always hated myself when I was drinking. Thought I was worthless. It took me a little sober time to develop a new attitude, a better, more positive attitude. Put down the bottle and start loving yourself. Don't let your circumstances define you.
this, im only 4 days sober this time, but have had over 2 years before. when drinking you wake up each morning with crippling depression and extreme guilt where you feel like a completely worthless human being and nothing can be done. This leads you back to the bottle to cover up those feelings, this can go on over and over for years or until you die.

I was feeling like that just a week ago, but now that I have four days and have already been exercising, job interview tomorrow etc.. i feel confidence coming back already. I know it will be difficult, but with this clear head im already getting I feel like it can be done. Where a week ago I was like life is over no way I can get out of this place im in.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

OldMe,
This article looks like is was written just for you:
https://medium.com/swlh/want-to-make...e-6a790281b4e5

Do yourself a favor and check it out, it just might get you out of your rut.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can see where you're coming from TWTOM. I'm 28, I pursued a degree I've never used to appease my family, accumulated a lot of debt and then cried about my life and the state of the world for several years.. There were some ugly times but I've been able to make a living in the restaurant/bar industry and although it's not glamorous I'm completely financially independent. It doesn't take a degree. Often times the connections and professional relationships we make are more important than our credentials.. we just have to be sober enough to form and maintain them.

It's true the economy and things in general aren't what they were for our parent's generation (where that part time job at a lemonade stand they had in college paid for their entire education and cost of living).. But the good news is there are a lot of opportunities now that didn't exist in that time either. Get creative. There's no such thing as instant gratification in terms of money or career unless you were born into it, as you mention. In which case you probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway if it's all you know.

You've identified the problems, now you need to start re-framing the way you're looking at them and start looking for solutions. The greater the struggle the greater the reward in overcoming it.. The greatest challenge of course being sobriety. Without that foundation to stand on no amount of material success would have any value at all.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

middle class not dwindling here in metro detroit. doing just fine and theres a crapton of work for the middle class.
have or have not by design:
oprah winfrey, howard schultz, damon john,ralph lauren,john paul dejoria- just a few people that came from dirt poor have not.

i felt pretty worthless when i was drinking,too. amazing what occured when i put down the bottle and learned how to live.
look up Khalil Rafati,too