Notices

How long before you can go out again?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
So I just got back from a local town baseball game. That was a big mistake because everyone and their mother had a beer in their hand...literally their mothers, too!

I had to ditch my friend who was nice enough to invite me at the 3rd inning. I couldn't take it. And what's more I don't like baseball. WTF was I even thinking?? Now I feel like a rude ungrateful jerk and even a friggin boring loser. So many happy people with their beers cheering and yelling while I just sat on my hands. I'm so glad another friend showed up and started talking to my friend because I was OUT OF THERE!

Anyways when the hell does it get to the point where you can be in front of alcohol and be ok? Never?

It's been 6 months and I tell you right now I'm feeling so freaking fed up and hopeless about this crap. I wonder if it ever ends.

it sucked big time to leave and feel like "that guy"....you know the guy who doesn't drink and saw too much beer around him?

Thankfully I go back to work on Monday. This 5 day "staycation" has clearly been not what I needed.

I wish I could say I'm sorry for ranting hysterically but I'm not sure I care anymore. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Your taking care of yourself and your sobriety by leaving the ballgame early may well turn out to be a watershed moment in your recovery.

We have to be willing to go to any lengths to get and stay sober.

I think you just did exactly that.

Congratulations.

I like being "that guy who doesn't drink".

I'm known as that in some circles in which I participate.

I want to also thank dpac for the seriously important wisdom she has posted.

These are all great topics.

I still go to functions where alcohol is served (it was hard, early on, as you have experienced), but I always have an exit strategy and I'm cognizant of everything and everyone around me, particularly anyone who is drinking.

I have been sober a fairly long time, but I'm still very, very careful when it comes to alcohol.

I was at a NASCAR race in Daytona 10 days ago.

And I plan to spend a good bit of this weekend in the Delta Clubhouse in the Atlanta Braves baseball stadium.

I could not have gone to places like that in early recovery.

Glad you're here and posting on these important topics.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi WaterOx...When I was working I could not take any vacation time until my first year of sobriety because I did NOT TRUST MYSELF.

I believe that I white knuckled thru that first year....and when I had almost 2 years ..everything got easier....The awful nagging feeling finally lifted....It takes time and everyone is different.....but it will PASS if you stay sober.

If it passed for me.....it WILL pass for anyone..I continued on with 8 years sober...

I only picked up again cause I thought after 8 years I would be fine having a few....nope.

Congrats on 6 months!