Notices

4th Of July is coming and it's a huge drink weekend

Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4th Of July is coming and it's a huge drink weekend

This time of year in the USA is an unbelievably heavy drinking week/weekend. I would spend hours and hours and days and days sloshed on this one. Day drink, night drink. Everything.

I would drink in anticipation of the big weekend and the pleasure of some drunk days off. Never mind the evening of the holiday itself, an absolute drunk fest. Then days of drinking afterward to come down and keep my withdrawals manageable. Hot, sweaty, crapping my pants terrified. A prisoner of terrible, dark thoughts. No hope. Everything's a disaster.

But this year I am staying sober and cleaning the garage. I wanted to pass this on to my fellow SR friends. You can be clean and feel good from now on....Put the drink down. Get rid of all of it.

You'll go through hell for a bit. Then you'll be better. You'll look so good you won't believe it. You won't be hot and sweaty and withdrawing at work anymore trying to act normal. Dump the booze. If you're on the fence...take the opportunity to give yourself this gift. Thanks for reading and hope I'm not coming across as preachy.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Behind you 100% fam. I have 55 days and counting 😃
Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, thanks for sharing!! Enjoy our special day! 1776/2019 Happy Birthday, Ole Glory!
Old 06-28-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never liked the Fourth cause of the neighborhood firecrackers scaring my dog. Plus the neighbors would sit outside and drink and play loud music. The more they drank, the louder they got.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This will be my second Fourth of July sober. Looking forward to it even the annoying things. As long as I stay sober I’m going to be great
Old 06-29-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done and enjoy the weekend the good way. Treat yourself to something delicious and naughty like a huge chocolate cake.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's just another holiday, truly - and sober, we can appreciate its real meaning. Like we can Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas...all holidays which are only drinking holidays because...the collective "we" has made them so.

It's always up to us and indeed, many people find their "firsts" challenging.

Making the right choice and knowing that July 5 will come more quickly than we think - plan for success and enjoying what's hopefully a sunny day wherever you are.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah there’s definitely a garment in my shame closet for this one. Nothing really dramatic. Just one year where we stayed home and the kids lit sparklers in the yard of the house we had just moved in to. They were so alive and engaged — and I kept thinking it was like there was a thick layer of wine filled glass between me and them. We have all these happy pics of them running around, and it was happy but it was just one of those days that I started thinking, I shouldn’t be tethered to the box of wine to enjoy these moments.

I’ll be sober a year and a half come Tuesday. Glad I’ve lifted the thick glass I put in place for myself inadvertently.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can remember 4th of July’s where I would stand outside and look up to the skies to watch fireworks, and have trouble keeping my balance because I had been drinking all day.

Now I stand outside and look up to the skies with high powered binoculars and identify constellations and various stars.

What a difference being sober makes.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Getting drunk is the way we show how patriotic we are. If you don't get blotto on the 4th, people might think you were a Communist. It's reassuring to see your neighbor falling down drunk because you know he's too drunk to overthrow the government, and everyone will be safe.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree that it is a major drink fest. I posted previously about my husbands ridiculous plans for the 4th. I’m just going to do my own thing with the kids and keep myself sober and safe. I’ll keep to my side of the street.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Getting drunk is the way we show how patriotic we are. If you don't get blotto on the 4th, people might think you were a Communist. It's reassuring to see your neighbor falling down drunk because you know he's too drunk to overthrow the government, and everyone will be safe.
Ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This 4th will be my 48th birthday. It will also be my first birthday sober in 35 years. Pretty sure I drank on every birthday since I was 14. Not no more.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had a lot of good times on the 4th. Lots of beers beach pool etc . Rough hangover next morning. 1st one sober last year it was nice.
Fully functional the next day which was good.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

It's really hot outside, I'm inside organizing things......and enjoying the cool air!

Keep moving forward!!!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I always drank about as much as I could drink every day anyway. The 4th, other than being my birthday was just another drinking day. No more, no less. This will be my first one sober since 1983.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I HATE THAT NOBODY CALLS IT WHAT IT IS ANYMORE!!!

It's not "The Fourth of July." That's just a date on a calendar. It's freaking Independence Day. It's not about hamburgers and beer and fireworks. It's about independence. It's about having the strength to do the right thing in the face of incredible odds against you.

I will celebrate Independence Day with a special fervor this year because I will not only be celebrating the beginning of the great American Revolution, the only revolution in the history of the world that didn't spring out of dire economic circumstance but out of a desire for Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. I will be celebrating that, but I will celebrate it on a more personal level as well, being the first time in years I will enjoy it sober, having recently issued my own personal Declaration of Independence.

/rant
Old 06-30-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Canada Day weekend here. Also Queens Plate yesterday.

I ended up with my husband's wallet in my purse after a picnic today, then I had to go get something out of town, I called DH enroute to home, he asked me to grab beer lol. I was like near beer? He decided to meet me in town. Get his own beer before I showed up with hop flavoured sparkling water.

Celebrating with whipped cream and strawberries, oh and diet dr pepper.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Since I started my Recovery journey, every 4th of July Weekend ( & NYE Weekend), I attend 12 Step Marathon Meetings with my friends. After a couple years of attending, I started volunteering at the Events as well.

BBQ-ing, participation & speaker meetings, and "fellowshipping" aka hanging with friends! It's FUN, and as they say, I didn't get sober to be miserable!

I think I post this here every year. Because, alcoholics/addicts do lots better being with other sober folks , rather than being at drinking BBQ's etc OR being alone & isolatated.

The internet can help locate functions/meetings in your area. Why not give it a try?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
I HATE THAT NOBODY CALLS IT WHAT IT IS ANYMORE!!!

It's not "The Fourth of July." That's just a date on a calendar. It's freaking Independence Day. It's not about hamburgers and beer and fireworks. It's about independence. It's about having the strength to do the right thing in the face of incredible odds against you.

I will celebrate Independence Day with a special fervor this year because I will not only be celebrating the beginning of the great American Revolution, the only revolution in the history of the world that didn't spring out of dire economic circumstance but out of a desire for Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. I will be celebrating that, but I will celebrate it on a more personal level as well, being the first time in years I will enjoy it sober, having recently issued my own personal Declaration of Independence.

/rant
There is a great tie in between Recovery and Independence Day, for sure - no matter whether you're an American or not

D