Notices

Massive coke / drink binge 😱

Old 06-25-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Doris whoops o was meaning to start a new thread. I was also trying to reply to you and say I also have the voice that gets louder until I give in. With lots of sober time in between hope you feel better after some sleep. Now I have to type that out again !! My brain is tired me thinks
Old 06-25-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Pretty much every alcoholic I’ve met including myself drank to silence that “inner chatter”. Self-medication is common amongst alcoholics but ultimately it’s a maladaptive medicine as it creates carnage in the process of quietening the mind. I used to beat myself up internally in my head as a daily activity and didn’t even realise sometimes.

The good news: getting recovered from alcoholism can enable one to experience a true peace of mind that you currently attempt to achieve through drink and drug binges. This is my experience. I experience a wonderful peace of mind most of the time. Recovery programs such as AA and the spiritual awakening gained as a consequence of living this program can bring about the calm and peaceful state of mind. Also meditation is a better way of giving me this peace of mind than drink or drugs ever were.

Also don’t rule out medication such as ssri’s if psychologists etc recommend these as they can really help to quiten the automatic negative thoughts and make them more manageable. In conjunction with abstinence from alcohol and drugs and working a solid recovery program which facilitates constant personal growth they can be extremely effective. This is a personal choice for the individual though.

The bottom line is that there is a solution and many, including myself, will relate massively to your post and reasons for drinking. There is a solution for what you seek in alcohol and drugs and it’s freely available.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Doris

I may be off base but didn't you mention you are bipolar? Or do you just think you are and need a diagnosis? If I have that right you definitely need to figure out a good plan. If you cycle manic and aren't being properly treated that can be, well, a real challenge.

If I have that all wrong, then ignore the post. If not you can PM me and I can share some of my experiences with you. I think you age can play into this too....a very challenging time hormonally in my experience. I don't think hormonally is a word...but you get my drift.

Hang in there. You will feel better but nothing worse than a coke and booze binge.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your day was better today Doris

D
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hope your day was better today Doris

D
I managed to sleep last night. I'm feeling hollow right now. I have that feeling of pending doom in my stomach. I just gotta move on now. X
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Doris sorry to hear about that. I think its great you have a therapy appointment. Having someone you can really open up to, and also has the insight to help and asks the right questions is huge. A mix of therapy, aa, and structure has worked for me so far. A great sponser can go a long way too. Quick example, the other night called my sponser and after our hellos, I shared something that was bothering me at work. When I called him I had no intention or idea that was even in me. So when you talk about those voices, I can totally relate. Having someone to open up to can help so much!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You know, I have two choices here. To get back up and fight or to wallow in self pity. I know what I want to do..
Get back up.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Doris,

Just caught up with your thread. I’m sorry you’re having such a rough time, but I’m glad you’re back.

What have you been doing for recovery? Is there something you can add to support you as you move forward?

Hope you start to feel better today.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
You know, I have two choices here. To get back up and fight or to wallow in self pity. I know what I want to do..
Get back up.

Change that to “I know what I will do”. Only you have the power to change your life and it starts by staying sober. That is the fundamental part of recovery; put your sobriety above everything else in your life. That’s how people stay sober in my experience.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Doris,

Just caught up with your thread. I’m sorry you’re having such a rough time, but I’m glad you’re back.

What have you been doing for recovery? Is there something you can add to support you as you move forward?

Hope you start to feel better today.
You know what, I don't actually know what more I can do 😥. I've joined a gym I go 3 times a week, I've told my close friends, I tried AA it wasn't for me. I'm now going to the root cause. I have my first shrink appointment tomorrow. I 've just started to open up to my friends properly how I struggle in general really, I'm on medication for depression. My doctor thinks I'm bipolar, so he referred me. Hence the appointment. Today I felt really hollow and empty. But I'm trying really hard not to slip into "poor me" it's done now I can't change it. If I could I would. So I have to move forward from this. I think I would benefit from counselling , so that's a route I'm going to take. Maybe different medication will help as well. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment. Xx
Old 06-26-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just my 2 cents but addiction ultimately comes down to a life and death endeavor. I've been in your shoes and I rode the wave while it was fun, but eventually I realized that it was not sustainable and could kill me. Keep fighting the good fight. It sounds like you would prefer to live.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, Doris. Relapses happen. Buckle up, figure it out, and get back on the horse. I'm here for you night and day.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post

^ This.

It's great that you want to continue the fight, but if you show up unarmed you could fail again.