Notices

A turning point perhaps?

Old 06-23-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A turning point perhaps?

I went to a quiz evening at the golf club on Friday night. I knew exactly what the evening would be like. I have been to many. It would be raucus and boisterous with people getting progressively drunk and silly.

I was not looking forward to it. I thought I would be bored and irritated and just wishing the evening to be over. To my utmost surprise I enjoyed it. I found the drunk conversations rather amusing. I was relaxed and never felt like I wanted a drink. I stayed till the end and had actually a jolly good old time.

I am more and more realising that sobriety is a lifestyle choice like staying in shape, exersizing and eating well. It does not have to be this BIG thing in my mind. It is simply what I do now and for the rest of my life.

I am almost feeling a tiny little bit content.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah it just becomes a way of life over time. You get to know what events you enjoy and which you don’t.

For me I have to live by certain principles in order for me to remain content about my sobriety. I use principles laid down by recovery programs for alcoholism.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember my first similar event. It was a fundraising event. Perhaps half the folks were drinking. I know because I watched very carefully. But as the evening went on I realized that most folks did not even notice that I was drinking non-alcoholic beverages. My personal behavior was not that important to them. I was not that important to them. Works for me.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I went to a quiz evening at the golf club on Friday night. I knew exactly what the evening would be like. I have been to many. It would be raucus and boisterous with people getting progressively drunk and silly.

I was not looking forward to it. I thought I would be bored and irritated and just wishing the evening to be over. To my utmost surprise I enjoyed it. I found the drunk conversations rather amusing. I was relaxed and never felt like I wanted a drink. I stayed till the end and had actually a jolly good old time.

I am more and more realising that sobriety is a lifestyle choice like staying in shape, exersizing and eating well. It does not have to be this BIG thing in my mind. It is simply what I do now and for the rest of my life.

I am almost feeling a tiny little bit content.

The same thing happened to me 2 times recently and I had no craving just enjoyed a lot !!!
WE can do it .Its a learned habit so it can be unlearned and relearned.But I stick with unlearned and close the door for re-learn.
Enjoy the peace of mind !!!
Old 06-23-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really does feel good when you see the positive spin on living a sober life.