Notices

Day 9 begins

Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 begins

So it is the morning of day 9. My sleep has stabilised to what I would almost call normal. Physically I am feeling better, not 100% by any means but I am not sure I even remember what that feels like.
BUT I can still smell that ethanol sweet, sickly, chemical smell when I urinate and coming from my skin.
I guess I had pickled myself so much that it is still oozing from every pore.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the Russian language you don't say you smell or detect a smell. They say "I feel a smell". I always thought it sounded stupid. In this case it is absolutely true. I still smell of alcohol and I can " feel" it.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is just an observation and I haven't really seen it mentioned here. No matter how clean we are, we as alcoholics don't realise how much we smell.
The revelation for me was taking taxi a week-and-a-half ago and the taxi driver (who is also a paramedic because incomes are so low here) out of the blue said "I smell ethanol". I had just showered, brushed my teeth etc, etc. And then he went on to explain how many patients he treats for alcoholism, especially withdrawals. How a woman who was having withdrawal seizures, despite already being treated to stabilise her, had died on the way to hospital only a few days earlier.
I admit I broke down.
Point being, we know what we are doing to ourselves but how many of us stop to consider the fact we stink?

Last edited by Strugglingto; 06-21-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-21-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
Physically I am feeling better, not 100% by any means but I am not sure I even remember what that feels like.
I've been reflecting on this recently. Day 18, and a couple days ago I was really tired and sore, despite sleeping ok and not doing any strenuous physical activity. Then I slept a little better and felt great yesterday. Today I woke up way too early. I drank for 20 years, yet for some reason I expect each day to be a little better. It's been sinking in for me that I don't really know what "normal" feels like, and getting there may be a longer process than I had thought.

BUT, reading posts like yours helps me stay connected, keep it together, and remember we're all going through this in our own way. I haven't been hit hard with a bad craving yet, but I feel like reading carefully and digesting what everyone shares here, and being real and honest in return, is a powerful asset to have to maintain sobriety!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
I've been reflecting on this recently. Day 18, and a couple days ago I was really tired and sore, despite sleeping ok and not doing any strenuous physical activity. Then I slept a little better and felt great yesterday. Today I woke up way too early. I drank for 20 years, yet for some reason I expect each day to be a little better. It's been sinking in for me that I don't really know what "normal" feels like, and getting there may be a longer process than I had thought.

BUT, reading posts like yours helps me stay connected, keep it together, and remember we're all going through this in our own way. I haven't been hit hard with a bad craving yet, but I feel like reading carefully and digesting what everyone shares here, and being real and honest in return, is a powerful asset to have to maintain sobriety!
Thank you and agree. It is the brutally honest posts that are helping me the most. Just hearing what some people have been through. I was a chronic alcoholic, I suppose I AM a chronic alcoholic and always will be for the rest of my life. I'm 37, and I did this to myself in five years. Not 20.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 9

D
Old 06-21-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats on day 9

D
Thanks Dee, it is early and I still have to learn to trust myself, not sure I do yet...