Notices

Trying again

Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
Are you able to identify how you reached the "never again" decision that you made when you were for those years not drinking?
I continued to drink for a long time while I pondered whether or not I was an alcoholic. I came to realize that for me it was irrelevant...when I drank, it was to get drunk. I could “moderate” when the situation required it, but I didn’t enjoy it. I wanted to drink to excess each and every time I drank. As I got older, the price I paid for drinking like that got higher and higher.

So honesty about my particular pattern of consumption was key for me. I didn’t want one or two drinks, I wanted all the drinks, and that wasn’t sustainable.
-bora
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boreas View Post
I continued to drink for a long time while I pondered whether or not I was an alcoholic. I came to realize that for me it was irrelevant...when I drank, it was to get drunk. I could “moderate” when the situation required it, but I didn’t enjoy it. I wanted to drink to excess each and every time I drank. As I got older, the price I paid for drinking like that got higher and higher.

So honesty about my particular pattern of consumption was key for me. I didn’t want one or two drinks, I wanted all the drinks, and that wasn’t sustainable.
-bora
My problem is that I still want to moderate and manage it say 75% of the time. The nights when I just have a couple of glasses of wine, I really enjoy. That almost makes it harder, I'm not down or fed up with life etc and I'm not stressed. I'm just those things after the days when I get out of control. For now I'll take it day by day (but def not counting, that's so destructive for me).

Have a great Wednesday, weekend on its way!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you think you're closer to that acceptance now?
I would like to think that I am, Dee.
My problem is that I still want to moderate and manage it say 75% of the time.
Accepting those figures the other 25% lead you to this site.

I'm guessing you can't always tell which group each drinking experience will fall into?

Thats a dangerous throw of the dice.

I wish I could have accepted I was a really bad drinker years before I did, but I'd privilege those few times I could drink as a gentleman over the many many times I could not.

( its also worth noting my perception of drinking like a gentleman was way in excess of most peoples)

I really hope you can accept that a life without drinking is no sacrifice Santi, and accept it sooner than I did.

D
Old 06-19-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Accepting those figures the other 25% lead you to this site.

I'm guessing you can't always tell which group each drinking experience will fall into?

Thats a dangerous throw of the dice.

I wish I could have accepted I was a really bad drinker years before I did, but I'd privilege those few times I could drink as a gentleman over the many many times I could not.

( its also worth noting my perception of drinking like a gentleman was way in excess of most peoples)

I really hope you can accept that a life without drinking is no sacrifice Santi, and accept it sooner than I did.

D
Well, my gentlemen style drinking is a couple of glasses of wine, which on its own is fine. But yes, you are right. I never know whether tonight might be one of the 25%.

For now I'm fine. I'm always fine for the first week or so after a serious episode as it's still fresh and I still feel bad about what has happened.

Next week the work will start again...