Notices

Odds of withdrawal ?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odds of withdrawal ?

I have been drinking for about 20 years ... but never on consecutive days always had a day or two in between.
From the past few years am drinking every 48 hours about 6-7 drinks of vodka with water and lime .
am planning to quit ... do you think I can do cold turkey or will I have withdrawals . Please advise
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Because its against forum rules to give medical advice--and telling someone to go cold turkey could lead to medical issues--the standard answer is see your doctor and be honest about your drinking.

Regarding withdrawals, they are different for everyone. But just about anyone with dependency on alcohol will go through some form of them. The danger of cold turkey is seizures, which not everyone who quits, gets. But it is always best to quit under medical supervision.

Oh, and welcome to Sober Recovery.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll just share my experience.

I drank a lot more than you and daily for many years.

I did a short taper. On my last actual drinking day I probably had 12-15 shots of hard alcohol (rum.) I woke with a hangover (which IS withdrawal.) From memory, I believe that on that day I didn't drink until late in the afternoon, and I had the equivalent of two drinks. The next day I had one. The third and final day of my taper/quit I had about a half shot. I really wanted to be done. Any more than a couple drinks and I would be off to the races, so I had to do the taper short and sweet and not try to step it down incrementally and/or over a long period of days - I just wanted to be done.

I just didn't know that it could have been dangerous to do it that way - I was merely self-treating symptoms that I felt were unbearable. I was probably very lucky to not have a more adverse reaction to quitting that way.

I was still miserable, shaking, hallucinating, and sick for a few days. I didn't sleep. It was bad...I likely should have gotten medical help but I didn't know any better. I just got on with it.

Medication for detox that you can do at home is inexpensive and safe if you qualify for that according to a doctor. After having heard and read many stories about withdrawal problems including seizures and death and the general belief that tapering isn't possible for a lot of people, I would highly recommend talking to a doctor. No need to suffer.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals from alcohol are unpredictable and can be dangerous. It's always best to talk to your doctor.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I did a medically supervised in-patient detox, at no cost. Not only did I have medication to ease symptoms and prevent seizures, but I also had the support of other recovering alcoholics.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

All you can get is odds based on your amount of alcohol (which, btw, most people underestimate, sometimes severely) and how long you've been drinking that amount. It's on the web. Google it. You'll get a range.

Everyone is different, so I strongly concur with the advice to talk to your doctor, particularly one who has experience in addiction and recovery. If your doctor doesn't have that, get a referral if you can.

I'm also a fan of medically supervised detox if the withdrawal risks justify it, which was the ONLY course of treatment I was offered because my drinking was so severe.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I'll start off how everyone else has: This is just my experience and not medical advice.

My routine:
Start drinking at 6pm.
750ml bottle of vodka mixed with gatorade.
2 shots of whisky.
Passed out by 10pm.

Did this every weekday night for 5 years or so. During the weekends, I would do that same nightly routine, but continue drinking all during the day. I would polish off an average of 3 liters of vodka per weekend.

I quit cold turkey. The first 5 days or so I couldn't sleep, I was always drenched in cold sweat, I was violently shaking, I could barely stand up I was so weak, I was hallucinating. It was pure hell.

Then it all stopped, and I was fine. Been sober ever since.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Years ago, and on a different forum, someone posted to ask about the odds of withdrawal complications such as seizures. After the member provided info regarding amount and duration of alcohol use, both of which were on the low end of the spectrum, I said "eh, odds are you'll be fine."

A week or so later, the member posted again to say she'd suffered a seizure and had to go to the hospital.

Since then I've never presumed to lay odds on anyone's withdrawal chances. The safest course for detox is to seek medical help.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Himalyan

the bottom line is noone can tell you'll be ok or not over the internet - you need to see a medical professional face to face and get examined to get any kind of guarantee.

D
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

I did a short taper. On my last actual drinking day I probably had 12-15 shots of hard alcohol (rum.).
That is not what they mean by tapering lol
Old 05-15-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
That is not what they mean by tapering lol
No need to lol about this, abgator. That's just kind of rude and beside the point. Bimi was telling her experience and if you read all the way through, you'll see her advice is to work with a medical professional. Which is really good counsel, Himalyan. No need to shy away from it - that's what they're there for.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think Bim said her last drinking day was 12-15 shots, not her first tapering day. She had 2 drinks on her first day tapering. I did a similar thing - but I know it's not advisable or recommended. I was desperate because I had no medical coverage at the time.

Himalayan, As the others have said - I hope you'll be safe & check with your dr. We're glad you are here.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I concur with what others are saying about unpredictable and medically supervised is probably the best.

I can tell you my experience, withdrawals are real and they happened to me when I went on a 3-4 day bender. If I drank just one night, I felt ok, slight hangover. Consistently drink over a fairly long period of time and the chances are pretty good that person will experience them. Some are mild, some are absolutely hell on earth. Welcome and I wish you the best.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I guess I'll start off how everyone else has: This is just my experience and not medical advice.

My routine:
Start drinking at 6pm.
750ml bottle of vodka mixed with gatorade.
2 shots of whisky.
Passed out by 10pm.

Did this every weekday night for 5 years or so. During the weekends, I would do that same nightly routine, but continue drinking all during the day. I would polish off an average of 3 liters of vodka per weekend.

I quit cold turkey. The first 5 days or so I couldn't sleep, I was always drenched in cold sweat, I was violently shaking, I could barely stand up I was so weak, I was hallucinating. It was pure hell.

Then it all stopped, and I was fine. Been sober ever since.
I was having detoxes nearly that bad weekly for about 2 years. But the final bender was that times infinity.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I was having detoxes nearly that bad weekly for about 2 years. But the final bender was that times infinity.
I don't envy you. Glad it''s all over with now though.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have a look at my thread if you need to know how dangerous withdrawal can be. Everyone is different please get medical advice xx
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your age will play a huge role too. Please seek advice from a doctor.

If you do, however decide to go cold turkey, prepare first. You need to have a clear vision of how you will occupy your time during the first few weeks.

Going cold turkey without having a clearly defined path has not worked in my case.

I had to condition my mind to focus on productive activities that satisfied it's deeply rooted desires and ambitions, such that I no longer was actively thinking about or craving alcohol.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You will notice that everyone is advising you seek medical advice, I agree and, despite me not having any really bad effects, I wish I had. I was offered a detox but the only available space was about 5 months in the future and I didn't want to wait.

So I went from drinking a bottle of Vodka a day to nothing. My first week was ok, I had a few problems sleeping for a day or so but felt great. Half way through the second week I passed out in the garden while having a cigarette and next thing I know my father is helping me into the car to take me to hospital.

I was suffering from Hypoglycemia bought on by going cold turkey and my blood pressure had dropped dangerously low. Luckily for me I was ok after taking a series of glucose drinks but it scared the crap out of me.

I am now almost 6 months sober and starting to get my life back together but if I did it over I would do it with medical supervision and not give in to my impatience to quit.

Don't gamble with your life, seek medical help.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How's it going, Himalayan?