Notices

New here. Can I go cold turkey yet?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats on successfully tapering off (I wouldn't be able to - I'd be right back in it).
Can you just get your vitals checked to be on the safe side?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
So I find this place pleasant and healthy, which is the way recovery should be.
Yes, it is only my first day here. But everyone has been kind, helpful and forgiving.

Congratulations on such a great recovery.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Congrats on successfully tapering off (I wouldn't be able to - I'd be right back in it).
Can you just get your vitals checked to be on the safe side?
Thank you

I actually had a full medical about 3 months ago, blood, ultrasound and x-ray.

Everything was good, apart from a mildly fatty liver. But on previous checks I had a moderately fatty liver. So things had already improved before my recent cut down.

As my wife has medical training she has been checking me daily, nothing major, just blood pressure, breathing, heart, hydration levels etc.

Hopefully I have been lucky and my years of stupidity will not leave any lasting issues.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One issue I have had is one day I was having severe muscle cramps in my calf. Every 15-30 minutes I would have a cramp, looked like a golf ball under the skin. Hurt like crazy, pushed me to screaming.

Luckily my wife noticed my electrolytes were off. So she gave me a bottle of Gatorade. Within 2 minutes, the cramps I had been having every 15-30 minutes stopped. Can't believe a bottle of "Sports Drink" could actually be so effective.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
We cannot give medical advice here, which is what this would be.

I can just say that I went cold turkey from a very serious vodka habit and risked the consequences. It was rough but I'd do it that way again.

I'd go to your dr (not rely on your wife's help) to quit - most people around here don't find tapering to be the most successful route.

Glad you want to get sober.
Hi Xija,

I also went cold turkey except whiskey was my wheelhouse. There was no way I'd be able to taper.

It was hell but if I'm being honest I don't know if I would have stayed sober doing it any other way.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi xija! It's great to have you join us. I hope the friendship & encouragement you find here will help you get sober & stay that way. I'm glad your wife has medical training. When I quit my blood pressure spiked & I was very jittery, achey, & irritable - but it all settled down.

You're giving yourself & your family a wonderful gift - a sober you. Congratulations.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
You're giving yourself & your family a wonderful gift - a sober you. Congratulations.
What an enlightened and kind thing to say.

Never thought of it that way. Somebody must be cutting onions, because my eyes got a bit watery.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We aim to please.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

"Never thought of it that way. Somebody must be cutting onions, because my eyes got a bit watery."

you are so cute! *hugs*

I think you can go for it, a week will be enough before your family visits. It may be a bit harsher (or not at all), but tapering may take longer. You're already down to only 3, and it sounds like you're almost forcing them down your throat at this point.

Plus you have your wife monitoring you in any case.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"Never thought of it that way. Somebody must be cutting onions, because my eyes got a bit watery."

you are so cute!

I think you can go for it, a week will be enough, before your family visits. It may be a bit harsher, but tapering may take longer. You're already down to only 3, and it sounds like you're almost forcing them down your throat at this point.

Plus you have your wife monitoring you in any case.
Yes, I guess I am very lucky, because now I hate drinking. I no longer get a "buzz" so I have no benefit or desire. I actually forced down the third just now. I am in no way saying that is good. It's just a set a tapering schedule to avoid issues. I am actually looking forward to only having to force down 2 a day next week. But I just wish I could skip to zero. The only thing I get from drinking now is a need for more mouthwash to stop beer breath.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xija View Post
Yes, I guess I am very lucky, because now I hate drinking. I no longer get a "buzz" so I have no benefit or desire. I actually forced down the third just now. I am in no way saying that is good. It's just a set a tapering schedule to avoid issues. I am actually looking forward to only having to force down 2 a day next week. But I just wish I could skip to zero. The only thing I get from drinking now is a need for more mouthwash to stop beer breath.
I really hope you will feel like yourself when your relatives visit and that tapering paid off. I wouldn't know, but would be curious.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I really hope you will feel like yourself when your relatives visit and that tapering paid off. I wouldn't know, but would be curious.
Not seen my family in about 9 years, so either way it is going to feel weird. We are not disconnected, we regularly skype etc. But meeting face to face...
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard xija

D
Old 05-02-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome aboard xija

D
Grateful to be here. Thank you.