Notices

Good weather and cravings

Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good weather and cravings

Am I the only one who has cravings in good weather? The minute the beautiful spring weather comes out it's all I can do not to stave off having a beer or a glass of wine.

Anyone else get this trigger?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course, very common. Though the longer I drank the more I could find an excuse for trigger in just about anything. Good or bad, happy or sad, sunny day, rainy day, wedding, funeral. But then again these days when I play the tape out, I know that it's not just that one or two everybody seems to be enjoying that I'll end up with. Its oblivion.

Turns out that beautiful weather is really best savored sober. Took me a long time to realize that. But it's the truth.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes for sure! I wanted beer today while in the sun felt great on the deck. But said it wasn't worth it. Hang in there!!
Old 04-14-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I stopped having cravings to drink when I started practicing gratitude every day. I am grateful to be a non drinker and it doesn't matter what 'triggers' come up - I don't drink.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt the urge to drink when it snowed and kids were home. I felt urge to drink when it rained as that would be a perfect movie and drink day. I felt urge to drink when it was sunny as I wanted a cocktail in the pool. Name a season or a storm...I could give you a reason to drink.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Knowing the end result of my drinking pretty much curbed my cravings, WaterOx. Have you considered cognitive therapy? I found it extremely helpful in my recovery. It can be another tool to use when triggers occur.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Yep. Alot of my triggers come from beer commercials and all the outdoor fun that seems to be had. I still have a difficult time at the lake when everyone is celebrating the beginning of the boating season.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. I posted on this same subject a month or so ago. I associated the nice weather with having a cold beer, glass of wine, etc. Start finding new associations for the nicer weather—taking a walk, gardening, going for a bike ride, taking kids to playground, etc.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In early sobriety, good weather was a definite trigger. Also, after vigorously cleaning the house inside and out, I would want to sit down and enjoy my newly cleaned house with a glass of wine. Years later, these two things, trigger me to feel immense gratitude for my sobriety and inspire me to enjoy both in an unaltered state.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had cravings in good weather..... it was a time to celebrate!

i had cravings in cold and dreary weather.... it was cause to seek comfort.

i had cravings in mediocre weather.... it took the edge off of boredom.

I had cravings in really hot weather.... it was a way to stay cool.....

Turned out, weather is a lot like emotions.... coming and going, ever changing.....

My cravings were no more ‘triggered’ by weather than by feelings. It was just a story I told myself.

my cravings arose from my addiction and my failure to build a life in something other than coping through substances.

Without alcohol I have weathered all kids of weather - and emotions. Cravings don’t pull at me. I’m free.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Early on I had nice weather cravings. Being outside with a book sounded better with wine, being outside by the pool sounded better with beer. I don't have those anymore, but I understand how you feel.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes very much so, and I am exactly six months sober. So the last time I drank the warm weather was ending and we were getting into winter. Now that the warm weather has returned I find myself wanting to have a drink while I'm outside with the kids. I am sure as time goes by I will retrain my brain to enjoy summer activities without needing a drink.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yesterday was a beautiful day and while driving back home from an afternoon of fishing I was surprised to find myself thinking about how good a gin and tonic would taste on our outdoor deck. I simply laughed at my old friend Mr. AV, congratulated him on his persistence, and told him to screw off.

The LaCroix seltzer water tasted just fine, and no hangover today!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yes, after over 4 years I still get a twinge when the weather gets nice. I can shake it off, but one of my frequent activities was a glass of wine (or several, usually) on my deck after work, and it still sometimes, for a moment, sounds like an ok idea. I know better, so I don't really entertain the idea. I actually couldn't even sit on my deck during my first sober summer, but now I can, and it's still very enjoyable. Actually pretty much everything I used to do while drinking is as enjoyable as is used to be, and some things are MORE enjoyable.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gymratgirl View Post
I felt the urge to drink when it snowed and kids were home. I felt urge to drink when it rained as that would be a perfect movie and drink day. I felt urge to drink when it was sunny as I wanted a cocktail in the pool. Name a season or a storm...I could give you a reason to drink.
This
Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, I had a similar craving today at 12 days sober. Even though I vividly remember the hell of withdrawal I just went through.

Just ride it out.