Notices

Dealing with old acquaintances who think you’re a drunk

Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

Yesterday, this guy saw me coming up fast. He quickly, abruptly, changed lanes and then passed the car the right. I tried to be patient and let him pass. But, If I backed off his tail, he slowed down.

The only way I could keep him moving was to keep pushing towards his rear bumper. It totally frustrated me.

When he finally passed the guy, he acted like he wasn't going to move over, until he saw I was about to pass on the right. Then he abruptly moved into the right lane.

As I passed on his left, he acted like he was going to come back into the lane...run me off the road. I was going around 80 mph. I honked my horn and braced for impact.

Thankfully, he didn't run into me. As I passed him I look over to see this little man that could barely see over the steering wheel.

Anyway, I am sure he was a nice man in real life, but behind the wheel he is an accident waiting to happen.

I swear to God I was trying to be patient. He was being a road bully.

Anyway, I search for the good.

Thanks.
Sheesh, I can't wait until self-driving cars are the standard. Until then, you should consider driving more safely - it's not just you and your "road bully's" life you are endangering out there.

To the topic, if you stay sober long enough, people will figure it out just like they figured out you were a boozer. Also, you don't know why they didn't come to your door. They could have a number of reasons they didn't have the time to knock on your door and chat with you.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Changes come with time in your behavior and there altitudes.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Update

Posting an update to this. So, last night I attended a fundraiser for my daughters sports team. At the table diagonal from me was two sets of neighbors—including the one who dropped off the paperwork in the mailbox. Had no idea they would be there.

I saw them all night, walking around and such, and they never acknowledged my presence nor did I acknowledge their presence.

I know I could have broken the ice and said hi but sadly I just didn’t feel like being the better person. I didn’t want to feel awkward or uncomfortable at an event that was supposed to be a good time. So I just ignored the absence of pleasentries and went about my night.

Part of me feels like I should have sucked it up and just said hi and the other part is saying stop trying, and move on.

I’m putting this out there for advice on the situation. I was a drunk for 20 years, sober only 90 days. My social skills are not great.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

My earlier comments still stand - but I'm always polite - saying hi costs nothing ?

D
Old 04-06-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You are right Dee. I do feel bad about my behavior, I think that’s why I shared—to be accountable. I’m not sure why i couldn’t just be polite and go on with my night. I think the fact that I was rejected by them has a strong hold on me. Again, it’s hurtful but I didn’t help my cause. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to just “let things go” and not let the actions of others affect me so deeply
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Better keep clean. I mean really clean. Take shiwer every day, buy new clothes, keep ur hair trimmed and in shape, use lotion/parfumes. How you look is really important for society.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

90 days might seem like a lifetime, but it's 12 weeks...

don't be too hard on yourself - you'll grow in confidence and the things that worry you know will probably not worry you in a years time

Better keep clean. I mean really clean. Take shiwer every day, buy new clothes, keep ur hair trimmed and in shape, use lotion/parfumes. How you look is really important for society.
not sure what the relevance is here, Sgt but I'd probably fail your standards

D