Notices

Everything is a sacrifice

Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To the back and forth about new v long term sobriety and perspective - in AA it is suggested that we share ESH - Experience, Strength and Hope.

So - what it was like, what we did, and what we have found, in a nutshell.

That's how I try to share my posts, and convey the freedom and clarity and non-glossy but different view I have of the cost (ie "sacrifice") of getting sober. There isn't one. The choice was - is - a priceless decision.

It's also part of why I considered myself a newcomer to recovery til almost my 2d year. And I anticipate I will keep choosing to learn and grow. At 5 years, 10, etc, I am certain my view will have evolved even more yet my priceless decision will never seem a sacrifice. That's what I see here at 3, anyway...
Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I tend to see things more easily in economic terms for sacrifice, because that's what I studied, and it's all based on choices. If we make a rational choice for one thing over another, there is a an opportunity cost associated to that decision, but I don't see it as incurring a loss in value but as a gain toward what we aim to achieve. It's not to say that acquisition of "things" or feelings is the ultimate way to base our choices, it's simply that outcomes are not a zero sum game for me. It is a rational choice for me not to drink, and the value I obtain from that is greater than the sacrifice made for it. How I make my choices is what matters, and there is no sacrifice made in doing the right next thing, to me.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My sacrifice was taking my blinders off and keeping them off. It was hard to really face myself down and admit to myself that I had a problem that I will always have if I don’t stay in the game of staying sober. Was that a sacrifice in the long run? Nope. I was sacrificing all of this awesome stuff I have now, for all of that time.

It helps me, though, to connect with others who are in the stages of feeling like they are sacrificing something. Quitting drinking is hard, if you are an alcoholic. I remember that when I come here and read posts from people who are struggling. I can see that they aren’t living the life they could live, and am reminded that the only reason I am living this life is because I was able to take those blinders off and put one foot in front of the other. Which was a combination of hard work on my part, some kind of grace, and the people who were kind, patient, non-judgmental, and unwavering with me. Those people were here at SR.

So grateful.

-b