Notices

For the lookers-on and lurkers out there.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Great stuff, Epictetus. I am so glad you took the plunge !!!

You will thank yourself for this . In the meantime , pat yourself on the back, you took the first step of many.

You have a very interesting name - would love to know what it means.

Welcome, and looking forward to hear much more from you .
Thanks Ayers.

Epictetus was a Greek Stoic Philosopher.

I chose the name because I believe that Stoicism (amongst others) is key for me to overcoming these addictions and navigating my way safely through rough waters. Because every falter has been due to a loss of emotional control and allowing external forces to penetrate my boundaries.

I believe aa uses the serenity prayer which is Stoicism in a nutshell.

The dichotomy of control:
Some things are within our power, while others are not. Within our power are opinion, motivation, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever is of our own doing; not within our power are our body, our property, reputation, office, and, in a word, whatever is not of our own doing. (Enchiridion 1) Epictetus.

A stoic mindset: I am an island and the waves bashing against me is the world. Some times they lap gently and sometimes ferociously. They can mark me and shape me, like daily experiences and adversities, but I remain inmovible. For if not I would crumble and be washed into the sea and be no more.

I find that in relationships, if one takes on the form of the waves the other must remain as the island, otherwise caos ensues.

If you regard that…which is not your own as being your own, you’ll have cause to lament, you’ll have a troubled mind, and you’ll find fault with both gods and human beings… (Enchiridion 1)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^^^ Thanks for that wonderful explanation.