Notices

Day 2 sober and getting hypnic jerks

Old 02-18-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 sober and getting hypnic jerks

Hi all

ive been binge drinking every night for at least 3 to 4 months now. With the ocassional day off only to start again. The amts ive been drinking are to pass out point. And im on day 2 of being sober. Day 1 was pretty bad with grogginess, shakes, heart racing etc. Where as today, ive had flushes really sore neck, occasionally seeing weird things in corner of my eye and extreme tiredness. But im also getting hypnic jerks which are unlike what ive experienced before. They jolt me awake and are keeping me from sleeping.

im so worried im going to.go downhill and have a fl on seizure. Should i go see a dr soon and be upfront? Cos of the level of my drinking i feel like i might send mybody into shock.

thoughts?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well a lot of people get hypnic jerks all the time when they're nodding off, alcoholic or not... but I think, if you're worried it's best to see a doctor, especially if this seems new.

Best to be safe.

D
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, and I only have ever had these (as one of many symptoms) after a bout of heavy drinking and withdrawal.

This is a common theme on these forums, but I can’t recommend enough going to a doctor if you can and just being upfront about your drinking and withdrawal and desire to quit. Or a counselor or detox program.

Because even beyond the withdrawls, you are describing a great deal of health anxiety. And, for me, the voice in my head telling me, “something must be wrong I’m so scared” was sometimes so paralyzing and scary I’d just keep drinking to push down those intense fears. I was so convinced I would die from the withdrawal that I’d make myself believe that more alcohol was the only thing that could save me.

A detox program or doctor in those scary moments may have spared me another fear-induced relapse.

Crazy, right? I see that now, but I was in no state to see it then! Hope your symptoms start to ease and you start to feel better soon.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I would say, with the amount you were drinking, that the safest course of action is to call a hospital and see if they want you to go to the emergency room. Detox can be dangerous, as it seems you know. Better safe than sorry. And don't worry about judgement from doctors. They have seen it, believe me, and only want to make sure you are taken care of.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get the hypnic jerks too. I went to the ER a couple times when I was withdrawing because I was concerned about seizures. They feel like seizures but because I am asleep, it's hard to tell. I now know they were just hypnic jerks.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on day 4 from my latest / last detox and I got the brain zaps bad. I have had them numerous times and they can hit in other parts of the body as well. For me it was right before I fell asleep. I think they are pretty typical but I am sure the dr. can help you feel more comfortable while you are detoxing.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be careful about the racing heart thing. I had that for a while after a particularly heavy bout of binge drinking and then one day wound up in the hospital with insane high blood pressure. My heart was worn out and I was going into heart failure.

Go see a doctor and have yourself checked out with these symptoms. It's very dangerous, I almost died.

Then, quit drinking, totally not worth it.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please go see a doctor Torvi. Your Dr. can prescribe some meds to get you through the first couple rough days. And yes, the brains zaps are common when we are ridding our bodies of toxins. I had them too, but they slowly went away. Just think, you won't have to go through this ever again! Best Wishes
Old 02-23-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Echoing advise... see a Dr. I definitely wish I had done that sooner when I quit