Notices

A Different Way of Looking at Surrender?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

very much like the ACT stuff I am doing with a psychologist- around acceptance...of that I have no control over
Old 05-13-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What the heck kind of movies do you people watch?

I have typed a response a couple times this week to folks about surrender and guilt, then erased them.

I do know that once I got to the point in recovery where I surrendered, took ownership and accepted the fact I was an alcoholic and ditto the surrender, ownership and acceptance of what I needed to do for the future, it was a huge wave of peace. It got easy, easier than it ever had been to live the life I wanted. Let it go... (as a mom with not one, but two who were Frozen crazy for about 3 years, that is a hard thing to say without an eyeroll)
Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It took me awhile to understand that surrendering isn't the way of weakness, but one of strength. It is not capitulation, but victory. This is the foundation of healthy sobriety and freedom.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone.......
Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I too prefer to surrender at this point cuz it is pointless to keep ''fighting'' the AV or looking at it in that way. Surrendering is much easier, letting go. Life has its own battles worth fighting over, if you will, or spending your energy on (I prefer the latter).
Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Surrendering to the fact alcohol doesn’t work for me, it’s harmful to me..... let the idea of drinking go and carry on with acceptance and peace. Thank you for sharing this Dee
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's a good scene.

Today's quote on my phone's sobriety app: “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.” - Henry Ford
Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

abgator - what app is that?

Einstein said something along those lines, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Not sure which came up with it first.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
abgator - what app is that?

Einstein said something along those lines, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Not sure which came up with it first.
"I Am Sober". But the one I really like is "EasyQuit Drinking". The latter is by far the most in depth sobriety app I've checked out. There's a section with a bunch of brain health stats in it. How long it takes to recover various functions or cells , etc.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh and surely Einstein and Ford were drunk together one day and came away with different versions of the same thing. Given their age and status, it's entirely possible lol
Old 05-14-2019, 05:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I try to think of what surrender I may have made, but it's like I have have to twist meanings to turn events in recovery into acts of surrender. Nothing about recovery seemed like surrender to me. I broke free from the grip of alcohol (a victory), and found a new path forward. Every discovery seemed like a victory. I was always getting something, but surrendering nothing. The only thing that may have been a surrender was sacrificing a life that was turning sour. But is sacrificing something you don't want really a sacrifice? It's not surrender.

Giving up resentments seemed like a surrender at first, but when I realized I was hanging on to my resentments as if they were valuable treasures, I worked hard to figure out ways to drop them. This was a struggle, and learning sometimes requires struggle, but the outcome is victory, not surrender.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
"I Am Sober". But the one I really like is "EasyQuit Drinking". The latter is by far the most in depth sobriety app I've checked out. There's a section with a bunch of brain health stats in it. How long it takes to recover various functions or cells , etc.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Is there any record of them being friends?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for the bite-sized wisdom, Dee, and others who have posted quotes.

Surrender is an easy thing for me to forget.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Is there any record of them being friends?
Haven't gotten that in depth.

I do remember one of them, you can interact with people around the world who are also on, going through various forms of recovery/addictions, for chatting.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Life is good

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Last night I watched Dr Strange (yeah I know welcome to 2016 lol) but I was struck by one exchange

The Ancient One: You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current, and use its power as your own.

Strange: I control it by surrendering control? That doesn’t make any sense.

The Ancient One: Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life, but it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise.

then today I quite coincidentally just came across this quote by Sri Chinmoy:
from the spiritual point of view...when the finite enters in the Infinite, it becomes the Infinite all at once. When a tiny drop enters into the ocean, we cannot trace the drop. It becomes the mighty ocean.
It makes beautiful sense to me.

"God, give me eyes to see, ears to hear and strength to embrace the illogical."

This prayer has opened my mind and heart to much that was there all along.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t think it was either Ford or Einstein.

12. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” — not Albert Einstein

Different versions of this quote appear everywhere (doing the same thing twice, expecting the same result, etc.), and we owe none of them to Einstein.

After Michael Becker, an editor at the Bozeman Daily Chronicle (a local paper in Montana), let the wrong version slide into an editorial, he did some research on his personal blog.

Becker traced the original back to Rita Mae Brown, the mystery novelist. In her 1983 book “Sudden Death,” she attributes the quote to a fictional “Jane Fulton,” writing, “Unfortunately, Susan didn’t remember what Jane Fulton once said. ‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.'”

Now, go throw away half your coffee mugs and inspirational posters.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/m...quotes-2013-10
Regardless of who said it it applies to recovery - which is why I think it's good to look at different ways of getting to the essential truth that we need to accept the need for change....hence this thread and different ways of looking at surrender

D