Notices

Endgame

Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Endgame

I can't even get drunk to go to sleep anymore. It's 5:30am in England and I've got a new housemate moving in tomorrow. It's stressing me the hell out. I'm a shift worker and I don't have work but that fact has become almost irrelevant. If I had work I'd have vodka on me. When I finished work today there was no feeling of 'Great, I've a day off tomorrow' or whatever, it was just 'How and where am I gonna carry on staying drunk?'

For me it's no longer a question of if, but a question of how, I'm gonna get dry.

Sorry for the rant. I plan to go to meetings; I guess the house situation is driving me up the wall at the moment.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

going to meetings is a good start.

do you think you'll need medical assistance to stop drinking?

D
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At this point I really don't know. And my particular GP is hard to get to. I'm thinking about just asking work for a few days off and asking some family to put me up for a few days.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just came through a week long detox. It helped that I had spent all available cash I had so I couldn't buy more. I just holed up in my apartment and prepared for a few days of insomnia and anxiety attacks. Day 10 now and I am clear-headed and sober. I guess you have to just make a decision to detox, bite the bullet, and go for it. It's tough, I know, but you have to sober up sometime.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

seeing a doc nd meetings re a good place to start.

Why not join some of the newcomer threads? Like Class of Feb ;19? I joined my 'homegroup' Class of March '16 - and it is still going strong, I have human friends there.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some good advice above. You can always go to the hospital to help you with detox if you can't get into your doctor. Withdrawals can be dangerous, so you need to be careful, and it may be best to do so under medical care.

Is your new housemate a friend, or someone you don't know well yet?
Old 02-12-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So I got through last night sober and I remain so. It was pretty gnarly at times. Today I've felt depleted and now somewhat anxious. The new housemate moved in and seems fine (he works with another of my housemates).

Just feel a bit empty and nervous about this whole thing, which of course means I need to follow through, I know.

Hope everyone's good.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first several days are pretty rough. Staying with fam for a few days to keep an eye on you is a good idea. Don't forget you only have to go through this once. If you start to feel too bad don't be afraid to get a ride to A&E.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great, Tetrax. I think you will find lots of support here as you continue to stay sober. It might be helpful to come up with a plan for how you will get through days ahead.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Make a promise to yourself that you won't drink no matter what! And stick to it.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I can't even get drunk to go to sleep anymore. It's 5:30am in England and I've got a new housemate moving in tomorrow. It's stressing me the hell out. I'm a shift worker and I don't have work but that fact has become almost irrelevant. If I had work I'd have vodka on me. When I finished work today there was no feeling of 'Great, I've a day off tomorrow' or whatever, it was just 'How and where am I gonna carry on staying drunk?'

For me it's no longer a question of if, but a question of how, I'm gonna get dry.

Sorry for the rant. I plan to go to meetings; I guess the house situation is driving me up the wall at the moment.
Hey dude,

I'm glad you got through it. Seeing as you're in the UK it may be worth you getting in contact with your local drug and alcohol services in conjunction with going to meetings.

They tend to have a bit more availability and a more 'comprehensive' type of service than your standard GP. You can normally self-refer too. It may help to have another port of call if you need it in the future.

Natom
Old 02-13-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey. Today I have made a promise to myself to never drink again no matter what. Even though all I want to do is down some wine to make these withdrawals and hangover go away. Let this be your last day one! We can do it together.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Tetrax?

D
Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tet,

I learned here I/we have permanently damaged our brains with our drinking and drugging.

Initially, there was physical and mental suffering. The physical gets better fairly quickly, although for me I didn't start to see some impressive physical strength improvements until recently.

The mental has been a serious challenge. It started basically like paranoia. All sorts of insane weird feelings. Now it is more about dealing with life with a routine desire to relapse.

Almost every day I have an emotion i used to drink to. Good or bad. I get through it and then wake up each day proudly sober.

My eyes are bright white. My balance is getting more and more fluid. My strength has at least doubled.

I will never give this up.

Thanks.