Notices

Day 7... worst day yet

Old 02-09-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7... worst day yet

7 days no alcohol and 6 smoke free. Its been a surprisingly calm, reflective and positive week.
until today. Its almost 1am here and Im in bed with a headache, itching all over and terrible restless legs which are painful and irritating. On top of real mental torment, my av taunting me and mental nicotine cravings. Close to goinh to the 24hr shop for cigs. I feel like the crave is so strong its omly a matter of time til i cave in, already feel defeated. I dont feel like i can ever quit. Help 😢
Old 02-09-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SIB

Have you tried vaping? I used it to quit smoking and it was super easy. I started at 18mg nicotine, then dropped to 12mg (that one was like a smoke), then to 6mg and then to 3mg. Stopped painlessly and easily.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
7 days no alcohol and 6 smoke free. Its been a surprisingly calm, reflective and positive week.
until today. Its almost 1am here and Im in bed with a headache, itching all over and terrible restless legs which are painful and irritating. On top of real mental torment, my av taunting me and mental nicotine cravings. Close to goinh to the 24hr shop for cigs. I feel like the crave is so strong its omly a matter of time til i cave in, already feel defeated. I dont feel like i can ever quit. Help 😢
I’ve been exactly where you are more than once. And it’s awful, there’s no way around that. You are experiencing real withdrawals. When people closest to me have asked what it’s like, the best words I can find to describe it are “mortal terror.”

In this case a doctor can help — there are short-term things that can help with what you’re experiencing, but in lieu of those anti-anxiety meds, I had found that taking a Benadryl can help bring on some much-needed sleep and to get you through to the morning.

100 percent feeling for you this moment and you CAN get through it. 7 days is very big deal.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Multivitamin, extra thiamine, and extra magnesium....something given routinely to those in withdrawal. You’ve taken a lot on yourself quitting 2 addictions at once. Go to your doctor if you need to?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

uh guys?

we have a no medical advice policy here - we can share what worked for us if we share it in a responsible way, but please don't be recommending things for other people to take.

Common sense shows things like Benadryl can be addictive and should never be used for long periods.

Even 'natural' things like multivitamins need to be run past your Dr to make sure they're suitable for you, your health situation, and any other meds you take.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Dee
SR
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

AK, If its 1am I'd try to sleep, read a book, anything that gets you staying in bed.

Mood swings are very very common in early recovery. Chances are you'll feel better in the morning

D
Old 02-09-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 8. I am also itching all over. I've drawn blood from scratching my calves. My back, my face, all itchy. I think it has to do with our nerves and the alcohol leaving our system
Old 02-09-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes — following up on my post the best thing you can do is actually reach out to a medical professional for help. I know that can be scary in and of itself, but it can provide peace of mind — and many primary care doctors are sympathetic when you go in and let them you know are starting the recovery process.

Also — for me — I don’t know what I would do without excercize. A good run, or jogging in place, working up a sweat — always has helped in those situations.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry Dee
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kitty. The itching is very typical. I remember it well.

Hope this doesn't sound too weird but I always found taking a hot shower to be just what I needed in a case like this. It relives the itching, feels good even, and it helps relive that extreme irritability.

Everyone's different but in my experience this part didn't last more than a handful of days.

I know it feels like crap but you can actually take this as a sign that you're getting better. You're doing great!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been itching. Even straight after a shower. I would try vaping. I do it It saved me from smoking.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support amd advice. I made it through the night! In those wee small hours it feels like the craving / pain will never stop.

I know it seems crazy quitting two things at once but to me they are linked and doing one always leads to the other. I also thought I would rather it be intense for a shorter period of time than to prolong it, like ripping the plaster off quickly! I also find if i quit booze but carry on smoking then my brain is still in addict mode. I want to close the addict part of my brain.

I have vaped before but find it always leads back to smoking eventually and for me, its still feeding the nicotine addiction which is what I want to stop.

I have been doing lots of self care including vitamins, healthy diet etc. Its all really helped and made this week fairly good but it really hit me today. It just goes to show, even though I am not a daily drinker and 'only' binge 1-3 times a week the addiction is real. People lile me kid ourselves we arent as addicted because we dont drink every day.

its a relief to know the itching is normal - how utterly dreadful is it? I am entering the real challenging phase right now and I must stay strong.

the only way out is through.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its also worth mentioning I have a long history of mental health problems and have a diagnosis of ocd depression and gad. So i take medication already - drinking the way i do probably effects the way it works!
I dont think vaping would be a good idea at this stage as I have kicked the actual nicotine addiction but its just the psychological side now.