Notices

Glad to be back to my sober life

Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad to be back to my sober life

Well I am back sober 8 days after a 2 month drinking spell. It all started with the typical been doing good so why not have a couple drinks with friends on a hunting trip. It is really sad because before the trip I knew I was going to cave in to drinking but went anyway. Needless to say for a few weeks it was controllable but soon spiraled into daily drinking again. I finally have truly had enough of this crap. I have turned the corner on a new career change in life that will involve physical labor that alcohol can not be part of. Just found out tonight I rocked the interview and got the job. In a way I felt forced to stop drinking for the job and am so grateful for that. Something is definitely different this time around the cravings have been pretty much non existent and I feel so grateful to be my sober self again. Drinking is such a waste of time for our short life's on Earth. I want to be sober and fully living for the rest of mine.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope you will fully utilize the support on here to get sober for good.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unshackled View Post
Drinking is such a waste of time for our short life's on Earth. I want to be sober and fully living for the rest of mine.
That is exactly how I feel and have posted pretty much the exact same words recently.

Thank you for your post.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

I had 208 days of sobriety with SR's help in 2016 and somehow got the bright idea I should start drinking again, stayed drunk for all of January 2017. Unshackled, I applaud you for recognizing where you want to be and correcting course, getting back on the sober track. That's just awesome, full steam ahead!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Unshack,

My addiction to things that get me high, booze and other drugs, is for life.

I will crave forever. I have been told by others they never crave anymore because of this or that. Good for them. I expect and except I will periodically crave.

Being this clean is amazing. I had no idea what being as pure as I can does for me.

Triggers are out there, but watching someone have a drink or get drunk has changed for me. I understand they are actively addicted. They generally have no idea they are hurting themselves.

This awareness is like a suite of armor against relapse. There are cracks, but all if this clean time and my sr education will get me to my grave sober.

My coworker, back from his vacation of 2 weeks was flipping out yesterday. He probably drank nearly everyday and was now in detox.

He was agitated and uncomfortable. He was freaking out because our job is changing. We might eventually lose our good thing.

I told him, nothing lasts forever. He could not handle that concept. It is booze induced brain damage.

I am sure he went home, medicated with some booze, resetting his clock, and will come to work feeling the effects. He might have even called the boss over it while drunk. Glad I am not the boss.

I haven't been freaked out like that in over a year. When things are bad I remind myself, I got me in this mess, I need to deal with it.

Booze is a temporary high that, given time and practice, can be replaced with other, non damaging methods...e.g. going to see a show, going to the gym, helping someone on sr, taking a bath etc etc.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My alcoholism is the same. A cruise ship tethered with dental floss. We always have to be vigilant. Congratulations on day 8. Keep it going.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
A cruise ship tethered with dental floss.
Love this metaphor.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouraging words. Just got up and feel great ready to deal with the day on sober terms. I will keep my guard up for temptations I realize they might pop up but my higher power and me will overcome them. I feel so blessed to have control of my life again and a bright future ahead of me.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Unshackled!!
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new job!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Support to you.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks forthe great post.