Notices

Messed up Christmas (no big surprise)

Old 12-24-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Messed up Christmas (no big surprise)

So I had been planning to quit with Allen Carr's 'How To Control Alcohol', who suggests NOT to cut down or quit till you've finished the book. I started reading it a couple of weeks ago and was so looking forward to a sober Christmas (spoiler alert: I already knew he was heading for the 'you have to be abstinent' conclusion having read it years ago as a teenager) but then I GOT THE FLU in the week leading up to Christmas. It was horrible and I drank through it and then I drank through my last shifts at work before the holiday (literally at work), thinking I could make the family Christmas. But I could not. My family hate me now and think I'm odd at best, despicable at worst. They don't have a clue even though I've told them millions of times 'I think I might be an alcoholic.' Anyway, sorry, just venting. Here's to the next opportunity (1st of Jan???)
Old 12-24-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"The next opportunity" can be right now, today. Quit now before something awful happens to you from your drinking.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why wait until January 1st? If you stop now, you will be 7 days sober on January 1st. There is no reason to wait. Do it now. Pour out what you have and don't buy any more.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Problem is I'm SURROUNDED by drink and drinkers, at home and at work. My life is saturated with booze, even if I'm NOT drinking. The drinker in me probably designed it to be this way but still, I'm stuck with it!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't have to drink because people around you are drinking. I don't keep alcohol or serve alcohol in my home because it's a safe place for me. But, even if others in your home are drinking, you can make the choice to not drink.

And, today is a great day to stop drinking. Why put it off until January 1st when you could greet the New Year as a sober person?
Old 12-24-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Problem is I'm SURROUNDED by drink and drinkers, at home and at work. My life is saturated with booze, even if I'm NOT drinking. The drinker in me probably designed it to be this way but still, I'm stuck with it!
We are all surrounded by alcohol. And you are right - the alcoholic in each of us does seek out situations where drinking is acceptable/encouraged. But as others have mentioned, the solution lives inside you - not in your surroundings. The non-drinker in you ( and there is one ) can make the decision to quit now and stay quit.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

So I had been planning to quit with Allen Carr's 'How To Control Alcohol', who suggests NOT to cut down or quit till you've finished the book.
Its not mandatory to do that, I'd already quit before I read the book - I didn;t start drinking again to read it

Forget 1st of Jan.
why not today?

D
Old 12-25-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you shared with us. I think we all know what you are feeling like - and that things only started to change when we quit for good.

Wishing you a last day one and a first sober NYE and Jan 1. You can choose that & I can promise you that it is worth the leap to the sober side of life.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
So I had been planning to quit with Allen Carr's 'How To Control Alcohol', who suggests NOT to cut down or quit till you've finished the book.
I sort of get the impression that you may have set yourself up to fall here and have given yourself a reason to continue drinking.

Allen Carr has to legally ensure people don't just quit because for some alcoholics that can be very dangerous and cause death. The purpose for the reader is to read the book, and understand this, before making the decision.

I used no book. Just this forum and my decision to quit. You can too. IF it's safe for you to quit I would suggest doing that and following up with medical professionals to deal with any withdrawal or side effects you're having. You may need mental health care while quitting too and be prepared to ask for help and accept it. It's something us alcoholics find hard to do.

Merry Christmas. Onward and upwards! A mistake is to be learned from, it does not mean failure.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WHY JAN 1? Stop now. Go to a meeting or 2 or 50. Post here, distract- do anything but drink. I drank a huge amount when I finally, literally reached the drink and die stage. Terrible burns, 55kg weight loss- no family support. You can learn from all here and not go down that hellish path.

My prayers and support to you.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey guys thanks for the support, just a quick update. I managed to make Xmas Day my Day 1 and I am here now on Day 6, grateful I didn't keep pushing the envelope till New Year's (at least). I feel good but today I've had the creeping doubts that I can still be in control of days when I could drink. It's idiotic I know, and the antithesis of Allen Carr's message (I can imagine him shouting at me 'Why would you WANT to?!') I'm just feeling tired and clinging on to some crazy notion that the booze would actually be a comfort. I won't drink today though, and I suspect this feeling will be extinguished after a good night's sleep tonight...

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'n glad you're back Tetrax - congrats on day 6
Remember the pitcher plant

D
Old 12-30-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on your 6 days! This is my first post in many years, but I just had to reply. Haha..I still hang around here.

I quit drinking after 38 years reading Allen Carr's book (it worked at the time!) I don't remember having a withdrawal or feeling "off" in 2010. After 9 months sober, I decided I could control my drinking. In a few years, that decision lead to malnutrition, dehydration, hospitalization hooked up to IVs and banana bags, zero equilibrium, brain problems, etc. After 3 nights in the hospital and no ride home from friends because I refused rehab, I walked into the rooms of AA. I'm currently 2 years 7 months sober after a 44 year drinking career...35 years as a blackout alcoholic who raised a child and ran a successful business.

What I learned is that Allen Carr's book helped me to quit drinking, but it taught me nothing about recovery or living sober. I left AA two months ago, but I left with tools even though I didn't work the program in it's entirety; my plan is to take a more holistic approach moving forward with the help of an an addiction/nutrition/trauma counselor, exercise, and, most importantly to me, religion.

I would encourage you to do as much research as possible on your journey. Allen Carr was great, but there is so much more to living this happy life!
Old 12-30-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 6, Tetrax. You will be able to find things, other than alcohol, that will bring comfort to you in your recovery. Music is something that helps me.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Holy cow Tetrax