Notices

Quit drinking 6 days before Christmas?

Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit drinking 6 days before Christmas?

I recently did 4 months of sobriety, which was fantastic. But, as many of you will relate to, I relapsed and slowly have crept back into daily drinking. I am desperate to quit again, and for good. But the thought of a sober Christmad isnt that appealing.

Everyone I speak to says 'its impossible to quit right before Christmas' or 'wait until the new year' but I am quite keen to just quit now. But as I said it isn't that appealing to have a sober xmas and I dont know of I am strong enough to stay sober throughout the festive season.

I once read a quote that stated 'dont have a big celebration for the last drink, dont give alcohol a big send off, as it's just celebrating booze, giving it a status that it doesnt deserve'. I feel that's true, and when I quit before, I just suddenly quit and was fairly successful. Other times I've had a last big night deliberately to say **** off to the drink, and failed.

so I guess I am looking for advise from others who maybe have quit right before xmas, those who have done sober festive periods. How the hell can I not drink when my friends and neighbors will all be drinking around me?

BTW I live in Australia, so our Christmas period is filled with BBqs, beach and parties. It's a very hard time in my mind to quit. Maybe I should just wait until January 1st?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always a reason to put off stopping drinking, always.

Today is the best day you could choose. If you plan to stop drinking for good, you will have to get used to Christmas without alcohol. So, why not start now, get through this Christmas and you'll be off to a good start.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

See my other post - I quit one year ago today. Best decision I've made in forever.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

V,
I quit on a Sunday. I had half heartedly quit in the past, on a Monday morning (hard day by the pm), New Years Day, (better wait until the 2nd), after the holiday, after the whatever. I’ll never forget my feeling that Sunday, as I was just done. It was different. I wasn't thinking about forever, I hadn’t planned it, I had no sendoff. Just done.
I found that during the first year I did all of the “things”, holidays,summer, first day of school, first fire of the fall, (that was a toughie),etc. for the first time sober in many years. Each one was a milestone, and sometimes people relapse at those milestones. Think of it this way...this Christmas can be your first sober in a while, and not only will you be clear-headed in the New Year, but next Christmas will be a breeze.
No time like the present. And you’ll have nothing to regret.
Good luck whatever you decide.
-bora
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I quit on December 8th... nine years ago. So yes, it is possible, and also, Christmas without drinking is way better.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit on Christmas Eve. It'll be ten years ago, this one.
Never looked back. Well, I looked back, and it wasn't pretty.
No time like the present.
You sound like you're looking for an excuse to stay drunk?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone I speak to says 'its impossible to quit right before Christmas' or 'wait until the new year' but I am quite keen to just quit now.
Now you've spoken to a lot of people who've said quit now

There's never a good ( meaning easy) item to quit - there will always be a party or a bad day or whatever...

But as I said it isn't that appealing to have a sober xmas
I've had 12 Xmases now sober - it's great - but I had no idea how great until I quit drinking and actually experienced them as opposed to fearuing how dreary they might be

I dunno about you but I loved Christmas as a kid...there was no booze then.

I've gotten a little of that Christmas magic back through being sober.

I remember everything,I connect with people, I'm happy, no arguments, the food tastes better...and I feel at peace.

I reckon you could do with some of that too Vinono - best present of all really...why not give it a go?

D
Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think our addicted minds can always think of a reason to postpone quitting; it's the nature of the beast.

Why not quit now, like others have said, and have your first sober Christmas? You can still drink--just nothing alcoholic. I was obsessed with sparkling mineral water at first, just for the bite.

It can be an adjustment at first, but I would now never want to ruin a holiday by drinking. My emotions are real, I have fun, and I'm not deathly sick at the end of it.

Best wishes to you.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinono View Post
But the thought of a sober Christmad isnt that appealing.
I was having Christmas dinner with my family back in 2013 already blacked out with my marriage to my now ex-wife barely hanging on a thread. The night ended for everybody when I ended up screaming at the whole table like a maniac and my embarrassed ex had to drive me home in tears.

That was the last Christmas I had with my grandfather who died after that. I loved my grandfather more than anybody else on this planet and that is how I spent my last Christmas with him.

Fun times.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Bill Wilson, the co-founder of AA quit on Dec 11.

Like was said above, the disease will ALWAYS try to convince you "now isn't the best time." Many ppl have lost weeks, months, years...... and even their lives by listening to the disease over common sense.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Was due to quit yesterday but got the flu on Saturday which has really messed me up and left me with more 'excuses' to drink (I drank through the high fever till I passed out). Muddling through now but yeah guess what? It's Christmas time! Jeez. I wanted to be sober already.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone I speak to says 'its impossible to quit right before Christmas' or 'wait until the new year'

I'm pretty sure there weren't any AA members or SR website members in the normative sample you posed your question to. I bet if you surveyed those folks they tell you to quit drinking today.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Vinono - Eleven Christmases ago I decided to have one last drinking holiday season before quitting. I made things so much harder on myself. I didn't end up quitting until mid-January & by then I was a shaky, miserable wreck with all kinds of messes to clean up. It'll be challenging, but think how good you'll feel when you make it over this hurdle - and wake up Jan. 1 with a clear head.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I'm right there with you. Was due to quit yesterday but got the flu on Saturday which has really messed me up and left me with more 'excuses' to drink (I drank through the high fever till I passed out). Muddling through now but yeah guess what? It's Christmas time! Jeez. I wanted to be sober already.
I remember thinking I'd quit for Christmas..then I'd decide to quit January 1st instead..it was usually April or May before I started thinking about quitting again.

Don't waste any more of your life Tetrax.

D
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SWB

Vinono, I to had four months of sobriety and blew it in December. I’m sober tonight and plan to be forever. Don’t put it off.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Vinono, I can't tell you how to avoid drinking this Christmas, it's always been a tough one for me.
But I'd like to say this, there will always be some event to stand in the way. I'm an American in my 50's. first its the holidays, then the Super Bowl. Then the beginning of NASCAR, then football season. Rinse and repeat. I've been dealing wit this for 10 years or better. Could you possibly focus on a favorite sweet drink or tea? Try not to stay too long at gatherings. I wish you luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I quit on Dec 19, 2016 which was exactly 6 days before Christmas. Lets share a sobriety birthday! Wishing you the best.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tha ks everyone for taking the time to reply. I have found these replies to be very helpful and inspiring. I'm going to try my best to get.my mind in the right place to start sobriety.before Christmas. Here's hoping
Old 12-19-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can make it happen vinono

D
Old 12-19-2018, 03:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in the"quit now" camp.
Day by day and then next Christmas can be #2 for you.
But, for now, just take it one day at a time.