Notices

Buspar (Buspirone) and weaning off alcohol

Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buspar (Buspirone) and weaning off alcohol

my dr prescribed Buspar for anxiety issues and said I can take it in the morning and still continue to wean off the alcohol. Does anyone have experience with this medication ?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I do not have experience with buspar, though I do have anxiety issues.

Do you have a plan for how you will wean off alcohol?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I took buspirone once in the past. I was told by my doctor that it's one of the least "potent" of the anti-anxiety meds and also known to have the a low incident of dependance/withdrawal. Having said that I took it several years after I quit drinking so your doctor would be the best source to let you know if there are any possible interactions.

My personal experience with it was that I didn't really get any effect good or bad so I quit taking it after a while. Each person is certainly different though so it's best to stay in close contact with your doc. I'd also say that from experience, drinking alcohol made may anxiety far worse - so if you can find out a plan to quit you will likely be a lot better off.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I’ve already cut it in half using just strong will and help from my husband with quantity control
I used to drink 12 little shooters a night and now I’m down to six. Plans are to try to completely stop. Suffered a miscarriage and I just got into a bad habit of drinking every evening
Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My only experience with this is finding out my ex was on it and a bunch of other things and mixing it with alcohol after he left on a stretcher revived from death.
Google says it's for short term.
​​​​​​
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
My only experience with this is finding out my ex was on it and a bunch of other things and mixing it with alcohol after he left on a stretcher revived from death.
Google says it's for short term.
​​​​​​

Im sorry to hear that. I’m not taking anything else just that. I’m hoping it will help me quit entirely. What else did he mix with it?? I hope he’s doing ok now.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Bonniii View Post
I’m hoping it will help me quit entirely.
Having a solid plan for recovery and doing the necessary work to get there is much more effective than any med when it comes to quitting drinking. Alcohol and psychoactive drugs can have some pretty serious interactions, and in many cases the alcohol cancels out the intended effect of the drug anyway.

Your best bet is to be very honest with your doctor about how much alcohol you are drinking and follow the recommendations for your prescription.