Notices

We are all on the same side :)

Old 12-13-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lightbulb We are all on the same side :)

Hi everyone,

this can be a stressful time of year for everyone but especially for those trying to stay clean and sober, and their families.

Its easy to get frustrated or even angry over things when you're stressed - especially online - but I'd ask that everyone here remember we're all on the same side.

If you find yourself wanting to smack someone into next week, take a break- walk around the block, play with the dog, watch TV, whatever.

Here are our rules and policies.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-posting-tips/

If you feel picked on or abused, or you think rules are being broken you can
  • report the post (use the report post button on the offending post ),
  • use the ignore function:
    Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
  • PM Anna or myself,
  • or again, take a break.

Lets make this a good Holiday Season for Everyone

For Anna and the rest of the Newcomers Team,

Dee
SR
Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, Dee, for the great reminder.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee & Anna,
Thanks for the note. While I would operate the forum a bit differently, overall I must say it's done quite well for the recovery community. I'm not in charge here. Nor do I want to be. Moderating any internet forum board is a thankless job. I will close this with one of my favorite articles from Dr. Bob:

On Cultivating Tolerance

Originally printed in Grapevine, July 1944:

During nine years in AA I have observed that those who follow the Alcoholics Anonymous program with the greatest earnestness and zeal, not only maintain sobriety, but often acquire finer characteristics and attitudes as well. One of these is tolerance. Tolerance expresses itself in a variety of ways: in kindness and consideration toward the man or woman who is just beginning the march along the spiritual path; in the understanding of those who perhaps have been less fortunate in educational advantages, and in sympathy toward those whose religious ideas may seem to be at great variance with our own. I am reminded in this connection of the picture of a hub with its radiating spokes. We all start at the outer circumference and approach our destination by one of many routes. To say that one spoke is much better than all the other spokes is true only in the sense of its being best suited to you as an individual. Human nature is such that without some degree of tolerance, each one of us might be inclined to believe that we have found the best or perhaps the shortest spoke. Without some tolerance we might tend to become a bit smug or superior—which of course is not helpful to the person we are trying to help, and may be quite painful or obnoxious to others. No one of us wishes to do anything which might act as a deterrent to the advancement of another—and a patronizing attitude can readily slow up this process. Tolerance furnishes, as a byproduct, a greater freedom from the tendency to cling to preconceived ideas and stubbornly adhered to opinions. In other words it often promotes an open-mindedness which is vastly important—in fact a prerequisite to the successful termination of any line of search, whether it be scientific or spiritual. These, then are a few of the reasons why an attempt to acquire tolerance should be made by each one of us.

While I don't consider myself to be a person who "follow(s) the Alcoholics Anonymous program with the greatest earnestness and zeal" I do think that tolerance is incredibly important to my recovery. So hats off to Dr. Bob and everyone else on this forum.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks AAPJ.

We run it the way the owners want it to be run, lol.
It works

D
Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, I don't feel like being a moderator here is a thankless job. I love being here.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, Dee.

I love being here too.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is my family.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I appreciate the reminder. I suppose it's inevitable, but it can be so hard not to confront a bully.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Spider

I'd like to think no ones getting bullied in this forum.

If you don't think reporting posts or using the ignore function solves the problem, my PM box is always open Spider

Annas likewise

D
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks D
Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, no. I haven’t been and if I have I’ve been too thick to see it. I was referring to responding to it as a bystander. And of course we’ll equivocte on the word, but I think calling into question ones sincerety once they’re here is bullying.

But it I’ll attest to the mods prompt response to a matter of privacy concerns I had a bit ago. I’m sure more serious concerns on anyone’s part would be addressed just as swiftly.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to the mods on this site. You do a great job and SR is an incredible recovery resource. Thank you all 🙏
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think the forum is run brilliantly - I have yet to see any conflict, that isn't zapped in seconds.
Well done Mods
Xx