Notices

Changes

Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes

Well, my life has been upended a little bit again! I'd moved to Idaho for a job, and it was cool for a while but the writing has been on the wall. The owners really don't know what they're doing and the business has struggled a lot. I didn't want to ride it to the bottom (ie their bankruptcy) so I started low-key looking for another job. Recently I found a place that seemed like a good fit but it required a move. So I'm now in Montana! So far it's been good- the owners are amazing and have gone above and beyond to help me out and get me settled in.

But it's been a challenge! I've made three or four 700 mile round trips over the last four weeks settling my stuff in Idaho and over to Montana. Thursday I brought up the last of my stuff, splitting it between a storage unit and my new apartment when it hit me- it was Thanksgiving! Brand new town, sitting in my empty apartment alone eating takeout from Burger King (one of the only places actually open!).

I'm not a big holiday-type person but I always liked Thanksgiving. It's weird but despite my wanders for work I've always managed to get home for the holidays til this year. Don't feel bad for me, I was too busy to be lonely! But I probably won't make it back for Xmas, either. We'll see.

In years past I suppose I'd have just settled in with four or five bottles of wine and got wasted but luckily not this year.

I can't stress it enough; sobriety has made a whole new kind of life possible for me! Never could I have done what I've done these last few years if I was still a drunk!

Just as an FYI, I'll be a bit scarce around here for a couple weeks. I can't get an appointment to get my internet hooked up for a couple weeks. Right now I'm using my phone as a WAP with a Wireless-N plugin for my main PC. A bit slow and it hogs my data so I can't be online all nite now! But I'm still here and kicking!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Myth,

Wow, you are way tougher than me.

I have been worm holed, pretty much afraid to move, for the last 23 years.

You are doing what needs to be done and i truly am humbled by your effortless seeming tenacity.

I spent so many lonely holidays. I got to the point where i didn't even care. I would leave work for the holiday weekend acting like i had it all figured out, just to cry alone w my booze.

These last few holidays have been more w folks, but only because of my wife. She has friends.

She loves to remind me how i have no friends. I argue...yes i do..i tell her i could say mean things to her if i wanted to....

Anyway...u and me r clean and that is a foundation for a)l that is truly right in my book.

Keep posting cause i am reading.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best to you in your new job. That's some beautiful country in Montana.
I hope everything works out for you. And sorry about Thanksgiving, but I was alone, too. And didn't get drunk as would have years ago.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Always good to see you check in here Myth. Here's to a whole new kind of life for us all, sober.

Let us know how things go when you can. Best of luck.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you all the best in your new job. And, I hope you get settled in Montana and enjoy it there.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Loved reading this man and what did you order from burger king myth now im intrigued
Old 11-24-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get settled in and love your new place more each day MoS.

D
Old 11-24-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I dearly loved the Idaho panhandle so leaving was hard but I really love Montana, too. In fact before I'd ever been to Idaho my favorite city was Missoula, Montana. Northwest Idaho is about as good as it gets for someone that likes to camp and hike. There's a ton of trackless wilderness and you could spend a month out in the woods without ever seeing another human soul. I have nothing against humans, I'll hasten to add! But I really love getting out into nature and away from all human concerns.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats on your new job and move, MOS.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Myth,

Wow, you are way tougher than me.

I have been worm holed, pretty much afraid to move, for the last 23 years.

You are doing what needs to be done and i truly am humbled by your effortless seeming tenacity.
I just wanted to circle back to return to this; I'm not any tougher than you, not at all! I couldn't have done this back when I drank. I really didn't take any chances or do anything that took much initiative. Sure, I worked hard and my job and did well but I was comfortable in my routine of working and getting drunk.

There's nothing inherently good or bad about moving IMO. But all my life I've wanted to leave the midwest and move out west to the mountains/forests. It never happened when I drank but now, why not? One day I just decided that a year from now I'd be a year older- it could be a year older in a place I wanted to be or not. It's just a choice.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your new job, and your new home! Looking forward to hearing all about Montana once you get settled.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done. I am from UK but remember being in the states in 95 during thanksgiving. I remember the place felt desolate.