Notices

Holiday Tips to remain sober!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday Tips to remain sober!

Hey Ya'll I would like to share some tips to remain sober over the holidays.

1. Meetings- however you do them. In person, here at SR, online. Stay active with these people, your support.

2. Drive yourself if you are going somewhere.

3. Have an escape route if it gets to be too much. LEAVE, you have the right to put you first and be safe.

4. Write down on a piece of paper the reasons you are THANKFUL for sobriety, and if that nasty AV peers its head, pull out that paper and read it until you no longer think you need that evil toxin.

5. Don't go anywhere.

6. Wake up and eat an entire pie with some ice cream, you'll probably not want to drink with all that in your belly, maybe too sick to even leave the house?

7. Go and volunteer your time at a homeless shelter and serve them food.

8. Go shopping for Toy's for Tot's or another place and donate that booze money to a child in need.

9. Drive around your city and drop off socks, blankets, coats to the homeless (the weather will depend on what you donate)

10. Eat so much food you are sleepy and go to bed. You'll be happy you didn't drink when you wake up.

Would you like to add anything?

-Blessings,
DC
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about some exercise with all that food binging
Old 11-16-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
How about some exercise with all that food binging
Ha, that is after the fact At least for me anyways
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dream,

Love your post. I can feel the av.s lurking...whispers.

I am so grateful for my health these days. Not being a drunk lets me take my life to new levels.

Yest. On about 5 to 6 hous sleep i worked 10 hours, hit the gym, and went to a concert.

I was up at 230 am, in bed around midnight. I drove around 100 miles navigating difficult traffic.

I did it all with confidence, class, and strength that i have lacked for the better part of 40 years.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Intense yoga to be more centered and not let the family stress me to the point of wanting a drink.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, exercise is the clincher for me. And, for me, alone time. Scheduled and unscheduled alone time. (I’m so antisocial �� ) Last Christmas I was tempted to drink for a second when my MIL drove me nuts so you know what I did? Told everyone I wasn’t feeling well and skipped Christmas Eve dinner. Went for a long walk, wrapped presents beautifully, came here and read, and went to bed early so I would be refreshed when watching my niece open her presents at the crack of dawn Christmas morning.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I like the idea of having a few things written down about being grateful for sobriety. Happy holidays
Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exercise is definitely a big one for me too, it helps keep me grounded. Another big one is mindfulness, try to stay in and enjoy the moment.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Practice saying "No thank you".
Old 11-17-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love this!

I'd add to take your own drinks with - sometimes mine was diet coke at first, now I drink too much water/sparkling water with lime (yes, that is an actual thing and causes low sodium -however, right now I just add salt to things bc I won't give up the water!).

Also - naps. And the "Send Myself to Bed Early" technique, as I call it. A time out for an hour or going to bed early when I am emotionally DONE or frustrated....never regret it.

I also heard people say early on that a holiday is just ONE day. That's it. Of course we all have emotions and stuff around them, but changing my perspective and getting rid of expectations of how things would go has been really important.

My happiness rests in being sober, no matter what - and along the way most everything is better and easier as well.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also do what August does when it is a social gathering. I bring my own drink, and if possible, a to-go cup already in hand. When asked if I would like a drink my answer is always, "No, thanks, I'm all set." or "I'm good." I do this with a big smile! This usually stops anyone from asking why or asking what I am drinking.
As time goes on people will not care one way or another if you are drinking or not. YOU do care and will be the happy person in the long run.
Drinking is just not worth what it takes from us. Give yourself the gift of taking care of yourself!