Notices

Getting Burned Out

Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Burned Out

Hi Everyone....

I am in need of some views, advise or whatever you can offer.

I relapsed Oct. 15th after 5 months but I am back on track. I have been going to AA meetings everyday since then but I am getting sooo burned out on the meetings. I am finding myself not wanting to hear another," When I got sober...." Maybe I am missing the whole concept of AA. I don't want to hear when, I want to hear what is going on now with them. "I am feeling this today..."

I am doing this program different then I had in the past and doing the steps. Haven't gotten a sponsor yet cause I am not just going to pick anybody but I do have phone#'s if I get shaky.

The nice thing is I don't crave alcohol. But if I have that first drink, I don't want to stop at 1, 3, or 6. Usually I can't drink pass 8. Anyway, has anyone else felt this way? What did you find that was helpful?
Old 10-26-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not done 5 months, so well done on that. But yeah after about 1 month the AA meetings stopped helping me so I stopped them. I don't disagree with the general concept but I believe in self determination and don't need a programme.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel ya..maybe step back from the meetings for a bit if you don't think you're in 'danger' of drinking or try some other meetings. I haven't been to a meeting in a long while,but the last time I stopped into my normal spot, some of the old timers were giving the exact same 'speech' they gave on my first day there and it had been over a year of my going. Whatever keeps you sober though i guess. I do think some 'cling' to AA as a social thing or a "fear based program" as I've heard it reffered to and don't really have much of a life outside of AA though..again..just my opinion. But..hit up some different places and hear some new 'shares'.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but I wonder if you have wonder if you have other tools that you use to help your recovery, along with the meetings?
Old 10-26-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Livin! I have been to many different AA meetings and it took me a while to find some where I felt like I could identify with or that had the "right" approach for me. I'm lucky as there a tons of meetings where I live and I don't know about your situation but I'd suggest to just keep trying to find other groups where people focus a bit more one the now maybe.

I know from experience that often when there are newcomers at a meeting, people tend to share more from their drinking days or their early recovery as they think it is easier to relate to that for newcomers.

I hope you'll find some meetings that work for you
Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd try 90 in 90 and mix up the meetings both in type and place.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone....

I do have other tools besides AA. I see the same people everyday and not that its a bad thing and by all means I am not trying to lessen anyone else recovery. I just know that I get bored easily and trying other meetings may help...

I just also got (lightbulb)that if I don't show up at this particular meeting then people are gonna wonder. Am I doing it for them or for me? Ha...trying to be a people pleaser again. I am working on that as well...
Old 10-26-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm saying this gently, but I had to realize that people don't think about us nearly as much as we worry or think they do!

Using whatever tools you can, AA and other are great for me, to get you sober again and stay in recovery, that's plenty to worry about for you (and any of us!).

Glad you are sharing here.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have nothing against AA. I've been to a few meetings. I think it can be very good if you can connect with a group that's right for you. But for me, that seemed like a difficult thing to do.

I'm very appreciative of some people I met there that took a special interest in me, however, and I may go back. But right now I want to try something different.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA myself but I'm wondering if you've thought about getting a sponsor and doing the steps LivinginLV?

D