Notices

Looking forsomething different than AA

Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Looking forsomething different than AA

Hi everyone,

Once again, I am so thankful for SR and the wonderful supportive people on here!

I am very early in my sober journey. I am very vulnerable right now. I have many questions and thoughts that seem to consume much of my mind. Also, it seems like the more I'm mentally determined to remain sober, the more I have cravings. I'm not sure what that's about. On a good note, I was able to find a therapist today and I have an appointment scheduled soon. It's been difficult to find one to match my needs. I've been to him before and know I'm comfortable with him, so I'm trying again. He specialized in many of the things that I'm looking for, including addiction.

Okay.. so I've been attending AA meetings online and coming to SR frequently. The AA meets and SR have been great resources. However, I'm not really sure that AA is a great fit for me. I do plan on attending a f2f meeting on Friday so we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure that AA is a great fit for me because I'm secular in my beliefs. I also read "The Big Book" a while ago and it didn't really resonate with me.

My question to you wonderful people is.. do you know of any other alternative resources to AA or ANYTHING else? I'm very open minded to any suggestions. I'm trying to take advantage of as many resources as possible.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don’t practice AA

I looked at Rational Recovery strongly, kind of how it looked at my nicotine addiction. I hope this helps

Google AVRT

There are many many different ways to quit besides a a

Last edited by Dee74; 10-24-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: removed commercial link.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I used AVRT and this site to get sober. 6.5 years sober.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I suggest you visit the Secular forum for insight on lots of different ways to get sober.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...r-connections/
Old 10-24-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are other ways than AA to recovery, and some of them are mentioned here. I think you’ll encounter a lot of people on SR who have found their way to sobriety via AA who care primarily about you getting sober over anything else. I’m secular in my beliefs, too, but AA principles on living are also appealing to me. As it is said, “take what you need and leave the rest”. Don’t miss out on what they have to share here, as I’m sure you know. You are already on your way!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something

D
Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually I didn't even use a recovery method. In early recovery I concentrated on reading everything I could about withdrawals so I would be prepared for what's ahead and after I had been sober for a few weeks I started meditation. I basically just understood that I need to stay sober and started building around that – whatever helped my recovery was fair game.

Please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against recovery methods. It was just that when I really wanted to get sober I hadn't even heard of anything else besides AA, and after I had been sober for a few months, I realized I had my own "method" that worked fine.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rational recovery, avrt and this website worked for me.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lifering, Women for Sobriety (not sure if you are male or female), AVRT, Rational Recovery, Refuge Recovery

My cousin got sober without any support network - he did, however, throw himself into Buddhism and meditation.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery, AVRT, and this site worked for me.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're getting lots of good suggestions. Hopefully you will find something that works for you.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been to several AA meetings in person. It’s not a good fit for me either. I was looking into SMART recovery. I will now also check out rational recovery and AVRT. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SMART Recovery is another face to face option
I like trying all resources as well. Take what works from each one.

Mindfulness Meditation
CBT groups
look into addiction and mental health resources/centres and what options and groups and programs they have like addiction recovery groups that meet and share, they talk about books, or teach new healthy coping life tools and skills