Notices

So disappointed :'(

Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So disappointed :'(

I ended up giving in and going out for drinks on Monday.... It was amongst old friends so was nice.... But I have memory blanks, the next day I couldn't eat and kept throwing up, on top of that mega depression. I guess I never realised what damage my drinking was doing to me... I think I had fooled myself into believing I could take it or leave it. Memory blanks, not being able to eat, throwing up and feeling depressed is not a normal way to be. .. I'm disappointed as I had been doing so well. I'm a little shocked now that I have to admit I'm a problem drinker. For so long people have tried to convince me otherwise . Such a waste. I am grateful to start again though. New day.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you shared. What will you do to get sober and stay that way? Lots of good ideas and programs folks work successfully are shared on this site.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you shared. What will you do to get sober and stay that way? Lots of good ideas and programs folks work successfully are shared on this site.
Thank you. Well I had been doing everything myself. I had been pushing myself out of my comfort zone to meet new people and get new skills. Really big things for me.... Then it all felt so overwhelming I was exhausted meeting new people, and I missed the friends I had to distance.... I guess I will keep doing what I've been doing, but maybe check in with a sober group. I feel like an outsider where I am.... The only place I felt comfortable was the pub I drank in for years... But it is not an option anymore. Alcohol makes me very ill the next day.... And very sad.

Another issue I've identified is- I get really tired but don't take a proper rest day because I find it hard to sit still.... But then with a hangover I get my rest at a terrible cost. A few things to work through. I'm also missing my ex partner but he was no good for me.... A bit overwhelmed with emotions 🤯🤯
Old 10-24-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lifestyle changes, evaluations of friendships, loss, anxiety, and that all can be there when you are getting sober ... Is it any wonder that very few people can do it alone? Quitting drinking and all that we associate to it can be a lonely space to find oneself occupying. When I started my last journey into extended sobriety it was because I was becoming more lonesome as a consequence of forced rather than voluntary reasons. There is a lot of advice to listen to, and active steps (no pun intended) to follow, that for most is beyond doing without continuous encouragement and occasional correction that just isn't there going solo.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That restless irritable and discontented feeling(s) goes away with some continuous sober time.

The first few days/weeks/months are uncomfortable, no two ways around it - but you can do it.

When I quit, I was D.O.N.E. There was nothing that was going to change that.

Those blackouts you are having are concerning...it's not going to get better, only worse. Today would be a great day to wave the white flag, yeah?
Old 10-24-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi SA, you don't have to give up your social life, but you must develop some strategies to stop yourself drinking. I found it was essential to get a big glass of soda water in my hand right away, and doing that helped me a lot. If you're an introvert like me a glass acts as a prop and makes you feel more relaxed.

Before you go out make 100% sure you've eaten well, and aren't too stressed or tired. For now your body's go-to when under any type of stress - thirsty, hungry, tired etc. is alcohol. That will eventually pass, but be very cautious about triggering the cravings until it does.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. Glad you are right back here, it’s a good start. For me I asked my ABF not to drink around me the first month and to not offer me any.

The first few times we went to a restaurant, and the waitress or waiter asked what would we like to drink, “it’s happy hour“ I would just say a soda water with a twist of lime. It was interesting that most times my ABF would follow suit.

It was a good six weeks before I was around a lot of people that were drinking and I brought my own ginger, my own soda water, and my own lines. I had my plan in place .

Is far as announcing that I wasn’t drinking, unfortunately that was done for me. My ABF erronesouly though that it was his right to let everyone know ahead of time that I wasn’t drinking. I thought it was weird that no one was offering me a drink, but it was just as well. Those little details don’t matter to me anymore, especially as that relationship is ending and I can hold my own if I need to explain. But what I have found out is that mostly no one notices whether I’m drinking alcohol or not, they just assumed that I am— no explanation needed!
Old 10-24-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Star,

The crave is for life.

The only way through the hellish craves was to suffer. I drank for every occasion.

The suffering gets easier, but it never goes away.

I call it growing up.

Thanks.