Notices

Getting started

Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting started

Hi There,

I've read these forums for a while knowing that I had a problem. But I wanted to finally start communicating myself.

Like most, I drank pretty heavily in college with a year sober at one point. Then drank lightly to moderately for a few years. I went through a divorce a year and a half ago--I'm 32 now. And since then I haven't gone a day without a drink.

I can usually control myself during the week and only drank a bottle to a bottle and a half of wine at night. I would still workout 4 days a week and hold a high-paying job. On the weekends, though, I would get through 2.5-3.5 bottles of wine a day.

After a recent work trip where I was drinking almost 4 bottles of wine a day, I woke up the morning after returning home and had a terrible panic attack and couldn't feel my body (these aren't new for me, but I could tell this one was from alcohol--I was bloated and just had to have drinks in the morning to stop the suffering).

I decided yesterday that I need to severely reduce my alcohol intake or quit. So yesterday, I started to wean off alcohol. Going from 4 bottles of wine to 12 beers was very rough, but I did it yesterday. Last night, I had tons of cold sweats, but still managed to sleep through the night.

Today, my goal is 6-8 drinks. Tomorrow it will be less. Then less. Until hopefully in a few days I can get to zero and stay that way so that I can focus on the mental aspects of why I drank. Luckily, my girlfriend supports me and will be around to help.

Hopefully being on this forum will help too.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome pianoman! I'm so glad you joined us & decided to post. This is the best place ever for encouragement & friendship. We all understand, like no one else can.

I wish I'd admitted in my 30's that my drinking was out of control. I kept trying to manage the amounts I drank - I always failed. What started out as a fun thing to do - to celebrate, to relax - ended up a necessity. I was drinking all day, every day in the end - with a ruined life. This never has to happen to you, pianoman. I'm so glad you've decided to get free of it at at a young age.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you're ready to stop drinking and to live a sober life.

Since you've looked around here a bit, you probably know that weaning off alcohol is very, very difficult. It's really much easier to stop cold turkey, provided your doctor gives you a go-ahead. I hope that you are able to cut back and stop and I know that you will always find lots of support here.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi
I just wanted to say hi. I'm new and only on day 3 so not much to offer but empathy and support. I've been frightened by living sober and having no escape but now I'm more frightened by not. Best to you

SeaSlug
Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support and the useful info here can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome pianoman

Tapering never worked for me, but I hope it does for you.

If you feel concerned about any aspect of your health I hope you'll consider seeing a Dr.

You'll find a lot of support here - I'm glad you found us

D
Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's my advice; You've tappered enough and it's the weekend(so work's done). Cancel any/all plans..play sick if you need to..but just chill..No drinks whatsoever..get it over with by Mon morning! Tomorrow..you'll feel some better and sunday,even more so..just know, when you drink again, the cycle starts over and each time gets 'harder' the 'situations' progress,ect... It's something else and I'm a tough guy! I never want to experience those first few days/wks again. Makes it easy to stay away for me.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianoman83 View Post
that I can focus on the mental aspects of why I drank.
Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of advice and lots of friendly support here. This board has been enough to get me to over 80 days sober, so I hope it helps you too.

I would try not to dig into the mental aspects of WHY you drink and instead just try to focus on not drinking. Usually people try to find out why they drink so that they can somehow find the key to moderating and controlling their drinking in future, but the fact is you won't ever be able to and if you need to try to moderate, then you shouldn't be drinking because normal people don't need to make effort to moderate. The best thing is to accept that you drink because you are an alcoholic (which is tough for many to accept) Based on your drinking levels (your controlled days of a bottle to 1.5 bottles were still excessive amounts of alcohol) I'd say just get stuck into sobriety rather than tapering.

Wishing you luck!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Luck. Get this off your back now and the rest of your life will be much easier. If you really want it you'll break free. Like others mentioned if tapering doesn't work, see a doctor. They have ways to help you with the detox.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. I too was terrified on what would be on the other side of drinking, and it was very rough physically when I quit (I was life-or-death choice time, that kind of sick) - but absolutely worth any and all of that.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Piano,

My last binge drunk was about two thirds a bottle of Jameson Whisky.

I had a bit of alcohol poisoning. I couldn't see straight for several hours the next morning. I had to drive w one eye closed. Total hell on earth.

It took over 2 years for thing to settle down to nearly normal.

I never learned how to live life sober since I drank to get drunk beginning from my first memory. This was at 5 years old. In those days, I drank occasionally, but if I could get booze it was all going down.

Once I got a job I drank pretty much 3 to 7 days a week for the better part of 40 years. I was used to the hangover and pretty much felt off kilter if I wasn't at some stage of drunkenness 24/7.

Sr saved my life.

If it can save me, it can save anyone.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did a taper, but I only did three days.

I was lucky and it went okay, but I just didn't know any better and so that's what I did.

That was nearly five years ago, and I haven't had a drink since. I spent a lot of time on this site and just tried to heal. It takes time...hang on. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness, because I was.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree that tapering is very difficult. If you have the stamina to wean off, why not just quit? Once I had decided that I really wanted to quit for good, I planned a week off from work so that I could take care of my symptoms and they wouldnt affect my work.

If the taper doesn’t work, try it another way

Best wishes
Old 10-20-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going pianoman?

D
Old 10-22-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the support. I read and appreciate all your responses.

I completely understand that a lot of people have failed with a taper or think it's an unwise choice. I just felt that, for me, it was my best option. And I'm really happy to say that it has worked to this point.

I hit my drinks goal on Friday. On Saturday I hit my drinks goal of just 3. And Sunday (yesterday), I had nothing--for the first time in over a year and a half. I plan to keep it up.

It's sad to say that I cannot remember the last time that I've walked into work on a Monday morning and not been incredibly hungover. It's like stepping out of a cave.

Thanks again for your support. This forum is such a great ally and resource and I'll keep it up.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Excellent news, pianoman.

The first few days may be uncomfortable. Each day will get easier.

Stay the course - it's SO worth it. I hope you keep us posted.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job pianoman!

Remember to eat lots of healthy, whole food as you may be very nutritionally depleted--especially in some key vitamins and minerals which drinkers typically are low in.

What do you plan to do for recovery now that you have quit?
You need a plan to fill the days and heal your body and mind--
Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again, everyone.

Still sober on Wednesday here. I consider myself luckily that the really bad withdrawal symptoms only lasted a couple days for me. The last few days I have felt great and the only withdrawal symptom is just an occasional desire for wine in the evenings and before bed. I've been able to fight that off.

I went to the grocery store on Saturday and bought tons of healthy, vitamin-rich foods and have been sticking to that diet ever since. A few vitamin waters throughout the day has probably helped too.

And I've ramped up my exercise schedule from where it was before. I've got a lot more energy and have been able to perform better without the alcohol (obvious, but it's still nice to see).

The biggest thing is that when I fall asleep, I sleep straight through the night and wake up feeling rested and ready to go. I haven't felt that way in almost 2 years.

Right now, the positive health effects of not drinking are the biggest motivating factor--why would I want to go back to being puffy, hungover, unmotivated, sleeping terribly, performing poorly in workouts, etc... But once that becomes the new normal, I'll probably want to start focusing on other goals to maintain sobriety. Maybe I'll set fitness goals for myself or something.

Anyway, thank you for the continued support. Day 4 feels good.