Notices

Good information for long term drinkers

Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good information for long term drinkers

Hi All,
Hope you are doing well.
I found these words on a blog and thought they may help someone as they made me feel good as I can identify;

Most experts say it takes 1-2 years for the brain to get back to some degree of normal functioning. I drank moderately for 46 years (many times it was weeks with no alcohol consumption) and quit 16 months ago. It is only very recently where I go a whole day with no anxiety or depression, but the brain is righting itself now and what a relief! A year ago many nights with no sleep or only a couple of hours, severe anxiety, etc. Amazing how the simplest things now look so remarkably beautiful instead of the negative outlook that goes with alcohol. I can see why many alcoholics who are sobering up feel they have more psychiatric issues than alcohol withdrawal issues. Don't fool yourself- they are caused by withdrawal...and quitting smoking does make the brain start to heal a lot quicker. It has for me at least.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's good to hear, since anxiety and depression are something I struggle with a lot when I'm sober. The highs and lows can be quite intense.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Thank you, billck1

This was my experience, too.

I am so happy to know that I never have to go through that again.

Sober rocks!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me around 2 months to lower anxiety, about 4 month to build at least some basic emotional new pathways and around 6 month to get my thinking back to functional. Just throwing in my numbers for reference.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me about 13 months to start feeling good and balanced. Coming on 20 months now I’m so glad I stuck it out!