Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else had blotchy/mottled palms after quitting drinking?

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone else had issues with blotchy/mottled palms that would seem to vary in severity? Ive also had tingling and changes in sensation in my hands, feelings of inflammation in my joints, muscles and just generally my body as a whole sometimes feels inflammed and sore/sensitive. This all comes and goes kinda. Ive had all kinds of tests done, no neuropathy or liver/kidney disease. Just shy of 8 weeks sober.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Recoveralc

If you've had all the tests done, I'd hope that, with a little more sober time, things will sort them selves out

8 weeks sounds like a long time in one way but if you're anything like me you drank for years.

D
Old 09-30-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first thing that came to mind was a possible kidney issue, since renal complications can have dermatological consequences. I am glad that you checked it out and your levels were good.

When you got your blood work done, did you point out these issues and did the doctor note any other possible causes?

I know that when I have been drinking for a while, I get dry patches on the skin of my elbows along with some undereye puffiness, but these seem to go away after a few weeks of sobriety along with daily doses of milk thistle, B complex, and plenty of hydration.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have brought them up, both primary care doctor and neurologist kind of dismissed them.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also forgot to add, I occasionally get breakouts of acne on my legs or arms, and get very itchy in random places. This also comes and goes. Ive brought it up with doctors but they dont seem too concerned with it.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Sore and inflamed body, and mottled palms, yes. Not sure what causes it but never been told it’s anything serious. The soreness and inflammation seems to subside when I hydrate well, go for daily walks and eat a good diet.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Dry patchy skin and other skin conditions are quite common for drinkers. Make sure you keep hydrated and get your vitamin and mineral levels checked out as after giving up alcohol we find we are nutrient deficient especially where b vitamins are concerned. It takes a few months for your body to get used to no alcohol and this can cause many odd symptoms. Good hydration, lots of cruciferous veggies (broccoli and greens) which are high in vitamin B, oily fish which is high in Omega 3/vitamin a, and kiwi/mango/pineapple which are high in vitamin C. If you give your body some good fuel it will cope with the changes better xx
Old 10-01-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
J50

I recall my palms appearing to be red for a few months, but it cleared up. I also remember my ears lobes being red and feeling warm too. Not sure if it was related to blood pressure issues? At 10+ months a lot of the little issues I had have fortunately passed so hang in there!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have also noticed it seems to be affected by my diet somewhat, but it still comes and goes regardless. Im hoping this will completely go away in time.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This sounds similar to Raynaud Syndrome. I have this syndrome so does my mother. It is nothing life changing, just more of an annoyance. I get blotty red, blue and white hands and fingers, numbness and tingling. This gets much worse with colder temperatures. From what I have read there is nothing you can really do about it and it is not something to worry too much about. But I was glad to know what it is. You can google it and see pictures to see if it matches up with what you are experiencing and then ask your doctor about it. Again, not much to do really other than just deal with it, stay warm, get good gloves, etc.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my research I have come across raynaud syndrome and looked into it, I dont think it is raynaud syndrome in my case since it isnt affected by temperature and is more affected by what I eat.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had numbness, tingling in my hands and a little in my feet too, which increased in severity the more I drank and the longer it went on. My doctor told me this can be either diabetes, which can develop from heavy alcohol use, or alcoholic neuropathy. The latter may not show up on blood work but may co-exist (or be a precursor to) with kidney or liver problems. At the time I first attempted quitting drinking, I was prediabetic. Other than the alcohol, I’ve always had a healthy diet and at my ideal weight. I relapsed several times. Each time, these symptoms were worse than the last time and my blood work tipped the diabetes scale. My rock bottom was after a night of particularly heavy drinking, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was having a heart attack and my arms were completely numb. When sensation returned, I had pain with tingling that lasted about 2-3 months if I remember right, before it completely went away as a result of quitting drinking entirely. That was the last time I drank over a year and half ago. I also had bad rosacea which is also greatly improved. Alcohol is such a bad toxin.

My blood work also returned to healthy levels a year after stopping

Last edited by Fearlessat50; 10-02-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Forgot something